The toy is part of Nintendo's Ultra Toy series, which includes the Ultra Hand and the Ultra Scope. It launches soft balls that can be hit with a bat. It sold over a million units and was released elsewhere as the Slugger Mate.[text–source integrity?]
Another version, the Ultra Machine Deluxe, was released in 1977.
The Ultra Machine appears in as a boss fight in WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames! and WarioWare: Smooth Moves as a minigame. It is in Mario Party 5, Animal Crossing: New Leaf as furniture, and in Rusty's Real Deal Baseball. The game[which?] features characters with Ultra Machine-shaped heads. In Splatoon 2, the Bomb Launcher, a special weapon, resembles the Ultra Machine.
- Sheff, David; Eddy, Andy (29 March 1999), Game over: how Nintendo conquered the world, Vintage Press, p. 22, ISBN 978-0-679-73622-6
- "Nintendo Ultra Machine (ウルトラ マシン, 1967-1974)". Before Mario. March 27, 2011. Archived from the original on February 16, 2013.
- "Ultra Machine". Before Mario. September 1, 2013. Archived from the original on June 14, 2017. Retrieved November 21, 2023.
- "Nintendo Ultra Machine DX (ウルトラ マシン デラックス, 1977)". Before Mario. April 10, 2011. Archived from the original on October 20, 2015. Retrieved November 21, 2023.
- "Splatoon 2 producer talks a ton about weapons, mobile app usage, graphics, HD Rumble, more". Nintendo Everything. February 12, 2017. Archived from the original on May 23, 2023. Retrieved November 21, 2023.