|• MLA||R. Kumaraguru, ADMK|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Ulundurpet is located in the southern region of Villupuram district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. The town of Ulundurpet is the taluk headquarters. It is co-terminus with Ulundurpet revenue block. There are fifty-three panchayat villages, and 178 villages in the taluk. The state assembly constituency for Tamil Nadu is the Ulundurpet constituency. Ulundurpet Railway Station is the nearest railway station.
- 1 Demographics
- 2 Climate
- 3 Transport
- 4 Music
- 5 Schools in Ulundurpet Taluk
- 6 Colleges
- 7 Hotels in Ulundurpet
- 8 Banks in Ulundurpet
- 9 Theatres in Ulundurpet
- 10 Uzhavar Santhai
- 11 Industry
- 12 Shops and service industry
- 13 List of villages in Ulundurpet Taluk
- 14 Place of religious worship
- 15 Politics
- 16 References
According to the 2011 census, the taluk of Ulundurpet had a population of 369,357 with 186,410 males and 182,947 females. There were 981 women for every 1000 men. The taluk had a literacy rate of 60.38. Child population in the age group below 6 was 23,270 Males and 21,734 Females.
The temperature is moderate; the maximum and minimum temperatures being 38 °C and 21 °C respectively. The town gets its rainfall from the northeast monsoon in winter and the southwest monsoon in summer. The average annual rainfall is 1070 mm.
Ulundurpet taluka is crisscrossed by two National Highways, NH 45 (Chennai - Theni) and NH 68 (Ulundurpettai - Salem). T construction of the 4-lane NH 45 was completed in 2007, and the 4-lanes of NH 68 was completed.
One of the state highways in Ulundurpet is SH-69 - (Virudhachalam-Ulundurpet).
Ulundurpet Railway Station falls on the Chennai-Villupuram-Virudhachalam-Trichy rail route, between Tiruchirappalli and Chennai. The nearest railway junctions are Vriddhachalam Junction (20 km) and Villupuram Junction (36 km).
There is one Passenger train service here (Madurai-Villupuram Passenger and vice versa). It is very useful to village people to reach the District Headquarters, Villupuram.
Nearest international airport isTiruchirapalli Airport (120 km) and domestic airport is Salem Airport (130 km); and the second nearest international airport is Chennai International Airport (190 km).and ulundurpet airport.
The former airstrip at Ulundurpet was built during World War II and was used after the war for aerial spraying through the 1970s. It no longer has a viable runway and is used for storage.
In addition to traditional music, 'kuRavar kulam kaakkum kumara née vaazhga penned by Ulundurpettai Shanmugam and sung by M.R. Vijaya & B. Radha is a classical Tamil piece with startling swara notes.
Schools in Ulundurpet Taluk
- Aruna Higher Secondary School,
- Aruna Memorial Matriculation School,
- Ravlathul Janna Arabic High School,Salem Road,Ulundurpet
- Aruna Nursery&Primary School,
- New Aruna Nursery&Primary School,
- SSV Hr.Sec School, Senthamangalam
- Sri Vinayaga Matriculation School, Elavanasurkottai
- Sri Ramakrishna Vidhyalaya Gurukulam Residential Matric Hr. Sec School, Edaikkal,
- Beschi Higher Secondary School,
- Sri Sarada Vidyalaya Hr. Sec. School,
- Beulah Matriculation School,
- sri Kalaimagal Vidyalaya Nursery & Primary School Thimmereddypalayam,
- Government Boys Hr.sec School,
- Government Girls Hr.sec School,
- Danish Mission Elementary School,
- Panchayat Union Primary School,
- Panchayat Union Elementary School,
- Panchayat Union Middle School,
- Parkavan Matriculation School,
- Butterfly Matriculation School, Sheikhussainpettai
- St.Joseph Hr.sec School, Eraiyur
- Vaishnavi Nursery & Primary School, Senthanadu
- Chengalvarayan Co-operative Sugar mill Matriculation School, Periyasevalai
- Mass International Kids School, Ulundurpet
- Chordia Jain School, Ulundurpet
- St.John's Hr Sec School, Sithanagoor,
- Don Bosco Hr Sec School, Gedilam
- Jawaharlal Nerhu College for Women, Pali
- Sri Vinayaga College of Arts and Science
- Sri Annamalai Polytechnic College, Padur
- Vedhantha Institute of Technology, Vedhantha Nagar,
- Sri Sarada College of Education for Women, Sri Sarada Ashram Campus, New Edaikkal,
- Annai Teresa College Of Engineering,
- Govt I.T.I.
- V.R.S College of Engineering and Technology,
- Vedhantha Institute of Technology, Ulundurpet,padur
- Annamalai University Study Centre is also here.
- HAARYA Academy Creative Kids, Abacus & Vedic Math
Hotels in Ulundurpet
- Vasantha Bhavan-opposite to bus stand
- Muniyandi Vilas-Chennai Road
- Thalappakattu Biryani-Opposite to Bus stand
- Hotel Shree Haris-At bus stand
- Hotel Tamil Nadu-Chennai Road.
- Adyar Ananda Bhavan(A2B)-NH 45,just 5 km from the town of Ulundurpet.
- Chennai Woodlands-NH 45,just 5 km from the town of Ulundurpet
- Hotel Karaikal Chettinad-NH 45,near to Tollgate
- Hotel Arya Nivas-NH 45,near to Tollgate and On Trichy Highway
- Hotel Prasanna Bhavan-NH 45,near to Tollgate
- Hotel Aryas-NH 45,near to Tollgate and On Trichy Highway
- Hotel Vasantha Bhavan-NH 45,near to Tollgate
- Hotel Shree Sangeethas-NH 45,near to Tollgate
- Hotel Saravana Bhavan-NH 45, near to Tollgate
- Hotel Annapoorna-NH 45, near to Tollgate
- Hotel Aishwarya-NH 45,Padur,Ulundurpet
- Cafe Coffee Day-NH 45,Plot No. 46-48, Thai Thandhai Nagaram, Arasur, Ulundurpet, Tamil Nadu.
Banks in Ulundurpet
- Indian Overseas Bank
- State Bank of India
- Punjab National Bank
- Karur Vysya Bank
- Pallavan Grama Bank
- Canara Bank
- Ing Vysya Insurance
- LIC of India
- Central Cooperative Bank
- Indian Bank
Theatres in Ulundurpet
- Jaisairam Theatre
- Narayanan Theatre
Ulundurpet taluka also has a thriving farmer's market called Uzhavar Santhai, located in the town of Ulundurpet.
- Chengalvarayan Co-operative Sugar Mills Limited, Periyasevalai-607 209.
- Arun Refractories, Padhur - 606 115.
- Gho Milk - Adinath Dairy Company,Survey No: 147/2A & 147/3A,Nagar Village, Ulundurpet Taluk,Tamil Nadu
Shops and service industry
- Hafil Auto cares , Automobile service center and Spa,Battery charge -Padhur-606 115
List of villages in Ulundurpet Taluk
- Parameswari Mangalam
- Elavanasur kottai
- Sirupuliyur (or) Siruthapuliyur
Place of religious worship
- Sri Sarada Ashram is a spiritual center in Ulundurpet. Sri Sarada Ashram is located conveniently on the Chennai-Tiruchirapalli highway(NH 45). It is a traditional spiritual center that undertakes educational, agricultural, rural development, natural resource management, health and emergency relief activities. The ashram is managed by ascetic sisters, the disciples of Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, Sri Sarada Devi and Swami Vivekananda. Special prayers are conducted annually and lots of people from various parts of the world visit here. Sri Ramakrishna Gurukulam, a residential matriculation school works under the management of the ashram. The ashram also renders its helping hand to the miserable and suffering class. Vocational training programs are given for rural women. Mobile health services and free hostel facilities for poor girls are offered.
- Thiruvennainallur is a Shivasthalam at about 7 km north.
- The Perianayagi Madha Shrine at Konankuppam is located 12 km away from Ulundurpettai from Chennai, it is about 200 km to reach Ulundurpet which is in the Chennai - Trichy highway. Konankuppam is about 12 km from Ulundurpet via Mangalampet. It takes about 10 minutes journey to reach Mangalampet which is in Ulundurpet - Virudhachalam road.
- Sri Prasanna Venkatesa Perumal Temple, Padur, 7 km away from Ulundurpet.
- Narasimha Perumal Koil, Parikkal, 11 km away from Ulundurpet.
- Koothandavar Temple, Koovagam, 15 km from Ulundurpet. Koovagam is a village in the Ulundurpettai taluk in Villupuram district, Tamil Nadu. It is famous for its annual festival of transgender and transvestite individuals, which takes fifteen days in the Tamil month of Chitrai (April/May). The festival takes place at the Koothandavar Temple dedicated to Aravan (Koothandavar). People from different places travel to this festival.
- Jinagiri Teerth is a beautiful three-pinnacled temple built during the period of Chola dynasty. The deity is the black-colored (original stone color) idol of Bhagvan Parshwanath in the Kayotsarga posture. There is also another idol of Bhagvan Chandraprabh Swami in the temple.
- Thowheeth mosque,Ulundurpet.
- Ravlathul Janna mosque,Ulundurpet.
- big Palli,Ulundurpet.
- bazar Mosque,Ulundurpet.
- Ahle hadees Pallivasal,Ulundurpet.
- Tntj Mosque,Ulundurpet.
- Jamia Pallivasal,Ulundurpet.
- The Periyanayagi Madha shrine is a famous Roman Catholic Church in Konankuppam, Tamil Nadu constructed by Fr.Constanzo Beschi also called as Veeramamunivar. There is a life size statue of Fr. Beschi in the front of the church.
- Arcot Lutheran Church-Virudhachalam Road
- Roman Catholic Church-Beschi School inside,Chennai Main Road
- Madras Pentecostal Assembly Church -Kumaran Street Near Anbu Marriage hall
Ulundurpet is one of the state assembly constituencies in Tamil Nadu.
Here the list of MLA's in Ulundurpet during the year 1952-2011 are,
|1952||M. Kandaswamy Padayachi||Indian National Congress|
|1957||M. Kandaswamy Padayachi||Indian National Congress|
|1967||M. Kandaswami Padayachi||Indian National Congress|
|1971||V. Subramaniam||Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam|
|1977||V. Thulukkanam||Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam|
|1980||K. Rangasamy||Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam|
|1984||M. Anandan||Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam|
|1989||K. ANGAMUTHU||Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam|
|1991||M. Anandan||Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam|
|1996||A. Mani||Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam|
|2001||N. Ramu||Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam|
|2006||K. Thirunavukkarasu||Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam|
|2011||R. Kumaraguru||Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam|
- "Provisional Population Totals - Tamil Nadu-Census 2011" (PDF). Census Tamil Nadu. Retrieved 4 July 2013.