|Studio album by |
|Label||RTÉ with the Lannan Foundation|
The Ulysses broadcast occurred on Bloomsday 1982 when the Irish state broadcaster, RTÉ Radio, transmitted an uninterrupted 30-hour dramatised performance, by 33 actors of the RTÉ Players, of the entire text of James Joyce's epic novel, Ulysses, to commemorate the centenary of the author's birth (born 2 February 1882). The broadcast was carried by live relay internationally and won a Jacob's Broadcasting Award in recognition of its achievement.
The novel Ulysses contains about 265,000 words from a vocabulary of 30,030 words. This record-breaking and historic literary broadcast was originally released on 20 audio cassettes in 1982 and later digitally remastered on CD in two formats: as a 32-CD boxed set, and as a three-CD set of MP3 audio files, released in 2004 (OCLC 315482641 and 605276262).
Track listing (MP3 version)
|Disc 1||Length 9:57:05|
|10||Scylla and Charybdis 1||56:11|
|11||Scylla and Charybdis 2||20:14|
|12||Wandering Rocks 1||1:01:06|
|13||Wandering Rocks 2||24:12|
|Disc 2||Length 10:02:29|
|20||Oxen of the Sun 1||57:13|
|21||Oxen of the Sun 2||1:03:10|
|22||Oxen of the Sun 3||20:06|
|Disc 3||Length 9:45:21|
|Total length 29:44:55|
Broadcast personnel (the RTÉ Players)
- Conor Farrington
- Peter Dix
- Brendan Cauldwell
- Aiden Grennell
- Tomas Studley
- Deirdre O'Meara
- Leopold Bloom – Ronnie Walsh
- Molly Bloom – Pegg Monahan
- Stephen Dedalus – Patrick Dawson
- Buck Mulligan – Gerry McArdle
- Mr. Deasy – Brendan Cauldwell
- Myles Crawford – Seamus Forde
- Bantam Lyons – Jim Reid
- Simon Dedalus – Eamon Keane
- Haines – Laurence Foster
- Miss Douce – Colette Proctor
- Miss Kennedy – Barbara McCaughey
- Nosy Flynn – Gerald Fitzmahony
- Ben Dollard – Breandán Ó Dúill
- Ned Lambert – Denis Staunton
- W.B. Murphy – Liam O'Callaghan
- Cyril Sargent – Brendan Conroy
- Colm – Colm Hefferon
- Zoe Higgins – Marcella O'Riordan
- Bella Cohen – Eileen Colgan
- John Henry Menton – Eoin White
- The Nymph – Cathryn Brennan
- Virag – Christopher Casson
- Old Gummy Granny – Neasa Ní Annracháin
- Stephen's Mother – Joan Plunkett
- Mrs. Yelverton-Barry – Daphne Carroll
- Cissy Caffrey – Kate Minogue
- Alf Bergin – Joe Taylor
- The Gaffer – Ivan Hanly
- Text Consultant – Roland McHugh
- Sound Supervision – Marcus McDonald
- Executive Producer – Micháel Ó hAodha
- Director – William Styles
- 1982 Recordings. RTÉ. Retrieved: 2010-09-12.
- Cue the magical music of memory, Irish Times. Retrieved: 2010-09-12.
- Analyzing Ulysses Archived 2008-10-25 at the Wayback Machine by Avinash Vora, 2008-10-20. Retrieved: 2010-09-12.
- Fair City actor Brendan Cauldwell dies at 83. Irish Independent, 2006-01-13. Retrieved: 2010-09-12.
- Library catalogue entry. UCD. Retrieved: 2010-09-12.
- Reading Ulysses. RTÉ. Retrieved: 2010-09-12.
- Cast list. RTÉ. Retrieved: 2010-09-12.