Ulysses Prentiss Hedrick
|Ulysses Prentiss Hedrick|
Michigan State Agricultural College|
Michigan State Agricultural College|
Oregon Agricultural College
Utah Agricultural College
NYS Agricultural Experiment Station
|Author abbrev. (botany)||Hedrick|
Hedrick was born in 1870 in Independence, Iowa. He grew up in Northern Michigan near Harbor Springs, an experience recalled in his memoir The Land of the Crooked Tree, and was the brother of Wilbur Olin Hedrick. He attended Michigan State Agricultural College (now Michigan State University), receiving a Bachelor of Science degree in 1893 and a Master of Science degree in 1895. He worked as Assistant Horticulturist at MSAC from 1893 to 1895, while studying for his M.S.
From 1895 to 1905, Hedrick taught botany and horticulture at Oregon Agricultural College (1895–1897), Utah Agricultural College (1897–1899), and Michigan State Agricultural College (1899–1905). He became a horticulturist at the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station in Geneva, New York in 1905. While in Geneva, Hedrick was awarded an honorary Doctor of Science (Sc.D.) degree at Hobart College in 1913. He continued to work at the Station, which he directed from 1928 onwards, until 1937, when he retired.
Hedrick was made a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1911, and of the New York State Historical Association and a member of the American Society for Horticultural Science (president 1913) and American Pomological Society.
During his lifetime, he authored or co-authored more than a dozen publications, which are "still frequently consulted", on the subjects of pomology and horticulture. His monographs on fruits, including publications such as The Pears of New York (1922), "have become classic references on the fruit cultivars of the period".
Hedrick died in 1951.
- Grapes of New York (1908)
- Plums of New York (1911)
- Cherries of New York (1915)
- Peaches of New York (1917)
- Manual of American Grape Growing (1919)
- Sturtevant's Notes on Edible Plants (1919)
- Cyclopedia of Hardy Fruits (1921)
- The Pears of New York (1921)
- Systematic Pomology (1925)
- Small Fruit of New York (1925)
- The Vegetables of New York (1929)
- History of Agriculture in the State of New York (1933)
- Fruits for the Home Garden (1944)
- The Land of the Crooked Tree (1948)
- Grapes and Wines from Home Vineyards (1945)
- A History of Horticulture in America (1950)
- "Hedrick, Ulysses Prentiss 1870-1951". History of Horticulture. Department of Horticulture and Crop Science, Ohio State University. 2002. Archived from the original on 2008-05-09. Retrieved 2008-08-12.
- Brandow Samuels, Gayle (2005). Enduring Roots: Encounters with Trees, History, and the American Landscape. New Brunswick, New Jersey: Rutgers University Press. p. 53. ISBN 978-0-8135-3539-5. Retrieved 2008-08-13.
- Alibris.com, Fruits for the Home Garden
- "Co.st-lawrence.ny.us". Archived from the original on 2008-04-26.
- Ulysses Prentiss Hedrick, A History of Agriculture in the State of New York (J.B. Lyon Co: Albany, NY, 1933) p. 34.
- Books.google.com Hard at Play: Leisure in America
- Lyonsltd.com Archived 2008-12-02 at the Wayback Machine. Biography of Ulysses Prentiss Hedrick
- Brummitt, R. K.; C. E. Powell (1992). Authors of Plant Names. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. ISBN 1-84246-085-4.
- (N.Y.), Geneva Hobart College (12 July 2018). "Catalogue" – via Google Books.
- "AAAS Fellows". AAAS Fellows. American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Postman, Joseph D. (December 2000). "The Pears of New York by Ulysses Prentiss Hedrick". National Genetic Resources Program – Corvallis, Oregon. Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture. Archived from the original on 2008-09-25. Retrieved 2008-08-08.
- P., Hedrick, U.; Ogden,, Booth, Nathaniel (12 July 2018). "The grapes of New York,".
- P., Hedrick, U. (12 July 2018). "The plums of New York,".
- "Details - The cherries of New York, - Biodiversity Heritage Library". www.biodiversitylibrary.org.
- P., Hedrick, U.; H., Howe, G.; Morehouse,, Taylor, Orrin; Burton,, Tubergen, Charles (12 July 2018). "The peaches of New York,".
- P., Hedrick, U. (12 July 2018). "Manual of American grape-growing,".
- P., Hedrick, U. (12 July 2018). "Cyclopedia of hardy fruits,".
- P., Hedrick, U.; H., Howe, G. (12 July 2018). "The pears of New York".
- P., Hedrick, U. (12 July 2018). "Systematic pomology,".
- P., Hedrick, U.; H., Howe, G. (12 July 2018). "The small fruits of New York,".
- IPNI. Hedrick.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ulysses Prentiss Hedrick.|
|Wikispecies has information related to Ulysses Prentiss Hedrick|