21 March 1988
Manchester, England, UK
|Alma mater||Manchester Metropolitan University|
|Known for||Co-founder and CEO of prettylittlething.com|
|Net worth||£250 million|
Umar (Oomar) Kamani (born 21 March 1988) is an English fashion retailer and businessman. At 24, Kamani and his brother Adam co-founded a fashion firm and online retail company selling clothing and other items to women mainly aged between 12 and 25, "PrettyLittleThing.com." The Kamani brothers were inspired to found their company after witnessing the success of their father, Mahmud Kamani's fashion firm, Boohoo.com, which was floated in March 2014.
Kamani is the oldest of three children. He attended Wilmslow High School - with an intervening period of four years spent at Stagecoach Theatre School. He graduated from The Manchester Metropolitan University in 2010 with his Bachelor's of Arts degree in international business.
In 2006, Kamani began working in the family business as a manager at Boohoo.com. In 2014, Boohoo debuted on the Alternative Investment Market with a market value of £560m. This float was a major contribution to the Kamani family's wealth. In September 2016, analysts began speculating that Boohoo.com would acquire PrettyLittleThing after reviewing Boohoo's financials, which showed a 40% increase in turnover to £127.3m for the half year which ended in August 2016.
Brothers, Umar and Adam Kamani co-founded PrettyLittleThing.com in January 2012. By the middle of 2013, celebrities including Miley Cyrus, Michelle Keegan, Rita Ora, Jessie J, Ryan Thomas and Nicki Minaj had been seen wearing clothing from their rapidly growing fashion retailer. 66% of the company was acquired by Boohoo for £3.3m in December 2016. The PrettyLittleThing.com team grew from 65 to 300 employees from 2014 to the end of 2015. This increase was to accommodate the workload influx from fulfilling 20 orders a day in 2014 to shipping 20,000 parcels a day by the middle of 2015. Additionally Umar reported a 500% increase in full-year sales to £30m. In 2016, PrettyLittleThing opened their flagship USA location in Los Angeles, California. The launch party was hosted by Kylie Jenner.
- "Brothers plan to grow PrettyLittle brand to big thing". Manchester Evening News. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Craven, Neil (26 May 2014). "'No thanks, I won't be buying a helicopter - or a football club': What Boohoo chief told salesmen after £200m flotation bonanza". This Is Money. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "People: Umar Kamani". Manchester's Finest. Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- "Family behind Boohoo.com pocket £240m from sale of company shares". The Guardian. Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- "Boohoo raises a smile for Manchester's Kamani family". Financial Times. Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- "Boohoo.com mulls Pretty Little Thing acquisition". The Business Desk. Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- Panther, Lewis (9 July 2016). "Coronation Street star Ryan Thomas lands his first Hollywood role - but it's not in a film". Mirror. Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- "Umar Kamani on making Pretty Little Thing the next big thing". Manchester Evening News. Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- "Boohoo.com founder's son racks up sales of £30m with online fashion venture PrettyLittleThing". Retail Week. Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- "Kylie Jenner Rocks Tamara Mellon Heels At Pretty Little Thing's U.S.A. Launch". Footwear News. Retrieved 14 November 2016.