Umar Shaikh Mirza II
|King of Ferghana Valley|
|Born||870 AH/ 1456
|Died||899 AH/ 10 June 1494 (aged 38)
|Spouse||Qutlugh Nigar Khanum (m.1475)
Fatma Sultan Agha
Yun Sultan Aghacha
Agha Sultan Aghacha
Babur, Mughal Emperor
Jahangir Mirza II
Meher Banu Begum
Sheher Banu Begum
Yadgar Sultan Begum
Rukaiya Sultan Begum
|House||House of Timur|
|Father||Abu Sa'id Mirza|
|Mother||Shah Sultan Begum|
Umar Shaikh Mirza II (1456–1494 C.E.) was the ruler of the Fergana Valley. He was the fourth son of Abu Sa'id Mirza, the Emperor of the Timurid Empire in what is now Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, eastern Iran and Afghanistan.
His first wife and chief consort was Qutlugh Nigar Khanum, a princess of the Chagatai Khanate and daughter of Yunus Khan of Moghulistan. Umar had two other wives and had three sons and five daughters from his wives. His eldest son was Babur Mirza from his wife Qutlugh Nigar Khanum. His sons from this other two wives were Jahangir Mirza II and Nasir Mirza. His eldest son Babur Mirza founded the Mughal Empire in 1525 and was the first Mughal Emperor of India.
Umar Shaikh Mirza died in a freak accident in Aksi fort, North Fergana, on 10 June 1494. It occurred when he was in his dovecote, which was built at the edge of the building, collapsed, thus making eleven-year-old Babur, the ruler of Fergana.
Marriages and progeny
He had a total of seven consorts:
- Qutlugh Nigar Khanum (m.1475), daughter of Yunus Khan of Moghulistan and Aisan Daulat Begum;
- Ulus Aghai Begum, daughter of Khwaja Hussein Beg;
- Fatima Sultan Agha, daughter of one of the begs of Mogul Tumans;
- Makhdum Sultan Begum, known as Karaguz Begum, daughter Malik Muhammad Mirza;
- Omeid Aghacha, who died before Mirza;
- Yun Sultan Aghacha, of Moghul extraction;
- Agha Sultan Aghacha.
His children were:
- A stillborn daughter - with Ulus Aghai Begum
- Babur - with Qutlugh Nigar Khanum
- Jahangir Mirza - with Fatima Sultan Agha
- Nasir MIrza - with Omeid Aghacha
- Khanzada Begum - with Qutlugh Nigar Khanum
- Meher Banu Begum - with Omeid Aghacha
- Sheher Banu Begum - with Omeid Aghacha
- Yadgar Sultan Begum - with Agha Sultan Aghacha
- Rukaiya Sultan Begum - with Makhdum Sultan Begum
- Abraham Eraly (17 September 2007). Emperors Of The Peacock Throne: The Saga of the Great Moghuls. Penguin Books Limited. p. 18. ISBN 978-93-5118-093-7.
- "Mirza Muhammad Haidar". Silk Road Seattle. University of Washington. Retrieved 2006-11-07.
On the occasion of the birth of Babar Padishah (the son of Omar Shaikh)