|Motto: "Nature's Hometown"|
Location in Lake County and the state of Florida
|Country||United States of America|
|• Total||3 sq mi (7.9 km2)|
|• Land||2.5 sq mi (6.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|Elevation||98 ft (30 m)|
|• Density||738/sq mi (280.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0306530|
|Website||The City of Umatilla, Florida Website|
Umatilla is a city in Lake County, Florida, United States. The population was 2,214 at the 2000 census. According to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2004 estimates, the city had a population of 2,502. Umatilla is known as the Gateway to the Ocala National Forest, located in northern Lake County.
Umatilla is located at (28.933134, -81.664430).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.1 square miles (8.0 km2). 2.5 square miles (6.5 km2) of it is land and 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2) of it (16.99%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,214 people, 867 households, and 582 families residing in the city. The population density was 871.4 inhabitants per square mile (336.5/km²). There were 987 housing units at an average density of 388.5 per square mile (150.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 93.54% White, 3.52% African American, 0.23% Native American, 0.32% Asian, 0.95% from other races, and 1.45% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.93% of the population.
There were 867 households out of which 29.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.8% were married couples living together, 13.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.8% were non-families. 28.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 3.01.
In the city the population was spread out with 24.3% under the age of 18, 8.4% from 18 to 24, 26.3% from 25 to 44, 20.5% from 45 to 64, and 20.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 89.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 81.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $29,628, and the median income for a family was $37,500. Males had a median income of $25,500 versus $21,741 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,739. About 7.2% of families and 11.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.9% of those under age 18 and 17.9% of those age 65 or over.
Parks and recreation
The city offers many outdoor activities such as boating, fishing, camping and hiking. Nearby Alexander Springs features the southern end of the Florida Trail, an unpaved hiking trail 60 miles (97 km) long.
- Al Hofmann - Drag racer and drag car owner in the funny car division.
- Howard Van Hyning (1936–2010) - percussionist with the New York City Opera.
- Jonathan Lucroy - Milwaukee Brewers 2014 All Star catcher - Grew up in Umatilla, Florida.
- Willis V. McCall - Sheriff of Lake County.
- Robert M. McTureous, Jr. - Medal of Honor recipient.
- Will Radcliff – Creator of the Slush Puppie, owned a ranch surrounding Umatilla, which was donated to the state St. Johns River Water Management District upon his death.
- Dennis K. Stanley - Professor and coach.
- Jaclyn Stapp - Beauty queen raised here.
- "The City of Umatilla, Florida". The City of Umatilla, Florida. Retrieved September 19, 2012.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- City of Umatilla, Florida (official website)
- "Profile for Umatilla, Florida, FL". ePodunk. Retrieved September 19, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Fox, Margalit. "Howard Van Hyning, Percussionist and Gong Enthusiast, Dies at 74", The New York Times, November 8, 2010. Accessed November 9, 2010.
- Spear, Kevin (2014-09-24). "Slush Puppie creator leaves wilderness to state". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved 2014-10-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Umatilla, Florida.|
- The City of Umatilla, Florida Portal style website, Government, Business, Library, Recreation and more
- City-Data.com Comprehensive Statistical Data and more about Umatilla