This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Potato 'Umatilla Russet'|
Umatilla Russet (//, YOO-mə-TIL-ə) is a moderately late maturing variety of potato especially suitable for frozen french fries processing. It was jointly released by the Agricultural Experiment Station of Oregon, Idaho, and Washington and the U.S. Department of Agriculture in 1998. 'Umatilla Russet' has been equal to or better than Russet Burbank in fry color in Oregon and regional trials. The potato was named by the state of Oregon after the Umatilla tribe, from which the city of Umatilla also takes its name.
- Tuber skin is tan color and russety-like
- Tubers are long with a tendency for tapered apical ends
- Flesh is slightly creamy
- Leaves are dark green, medium pubescence
- Few (up to 7) flowers per plant
- Flowers are light purple with a yellow-orange center cone
This section's factual accuracy is disputed. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This section does not cite any sources. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Less susceptible to Verticillium wilt
- Less susceptible to net necrosis
- Resistant to Potato virus X (PVX)
- Expresses foliar symptoms of Potato virus Y (PVY)
- Less susceptible to tuber infection and decay caused by Phytophthora infestans
- More susceptible to blackspot and shutter bruise
- Less susceptible to hollow heart, brown center, growth cracks and sugar ends
- Mosley, A.R.; James, S. R.; Hane, D. C.; Rykbost, K. A.; Shock, C. C.; Charlton, B. A.; Pavek, J. J.; Love, S. L.; Corsini, D. L.; Thornton, R. E. (March 2000). "Umatilla Russet: A full season long Russet for processing and fresh market use". American Journal of Potato Research. 77 (2): 83–87. doi:10.1007/BF02853734. ISSN 1874-9380.
- Eldredge, Eric P.; Shock, Clinton C.; Ishida, Joey. "Umatilla Russet Potatoes Compared with Russet Burbank and Shepody, 1997". Oregon State University. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Umatilla Russet / AO82611-7". Potato Variety Management Institute. Archived from the original on November 28, 2018.
- Brandt, Tina L.; Kleinkopf, Gale; Olsen, Nora; Love, Stephen (2003). "Storage Management for Umatilla Russet". University of Idaho. Archived from the original (PDF) on November 28, 2018.