|Born||18 July 1895|
|Died||27 October 1952 (aged 57)|
|Allegiance||Kingdom of Italy, Italy|
|Service/||Regio Esercito, Italian Co-Belligerent Army|
|Years of service||World War I-1952|
|Rank||Generale di Corpo d'Armata (Lieutenant General)|
|Unit||1 Raggruppamento Motorizzato; Gruppo di Combattimento "Legnano"|
|Commands held||Commandant of Central School of Artillery; Chief of Staff Corpo Italiano di Spedizione in Russia (1941-42); Chief of Staff 25 Corps, Russia (1942); Commander-in-Chief, Corpo Italiano di Liberazione (1943); Gruppo di Combattimento "Legnano" (1944-1945); 58 Infantry Division Legnano (1945); 3 Territorial Defence Command (1950-1952)|
|Battles/wars||First World War, Second World War (Greco-Italian War, Eastern Front);|
Battle of Mignano Monte Lungo (Italian Campaign)
|Awards||Knight of the Military Order of Italy; Officer of the Military Order of Italy.|
Umberto Utili was an Italian general known as commander of Primo Raggruppamento Motorizzato of the Regio Esercito.
He took part in the Greco-Italian War and in the Russian Campaign. At the time of the Armistice between Italy and Allied armed forces (8 September 1943) he was in Apulia just as Allied troops started their advance towards North. In late January 1944 he was appointed command of the Primo Raggruppamento Motorizzato (the early Italian Co-Belligerent Army) which, under his leadership was widened in size and became the Corpo Italiano di Liberazione, attached to the British 8th Army.
After the battles sustained in early 1944, Lieutenant General Utili proposed an upgrade of Italian forces. The Allies accepted and the strength of Italian units (by then called Gruppi di Combattimento) was brought up to 25,000 men. Immediately after the war he commanded the 3 Army Corps in Milan.
Honors and awards
Officer of the Military Order of Italy
26 October 1945.
Legion of Merit rank commander
- Utili, Umberto; Gabrio Lombardi. Ragazzi, in piedi! La ripresa dell'esercito italiano dopo l'8 settembre. Mursia. ISBN 978-88-425-1896-9.
- Battle of San Pietro Infine
- Italian Co-Belligerent Navy
- Italian Co-Belligerent Air Force
- Vincenzo Dapino
- Military history of Italy during World War II
- ANPI Roma - The Corpo Italiano di Liberazione Archived 2008-07-04 at the Wayback Machine
- ANPI Roma - Scheda sul CIL Archived 2008-07-04 at the Wayback Machine
- Sito dal Volturno a Cassino
- Sito Quirinale scheda 3412, data del conferimento: 4 agosto 1942 R.D. n. 281
- Sito Quirinale scheda 3411, data del conferimento: 26 ottobre 1945 D.L. n. 315
- Sito Chi era costui - Lapide alla memoria a Bergamo