|Education||Delhi University (DU), Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), Film and Television Institute of India (FTII)|
|Employer||Reliance Industries Limited|
|Known for||Journalist & Media Executive|
|Title||President & Media Director|
Umesh Upadhyay, is a veteran Indian television journalist and media executive. He is currently President & Director Media at Reliance Industries Limited., prior to which he was President News at Network 18.
Early life and career
A career spanning over 25 years in media industry and academics, Umesh worked at Janmat TV (Channel Head), Zee News (Executive Producer and Editor, Output), SAB TV, Home TV (Executive Producer), Doordarshan (Correspondent) and Press Trust of India (Sub Editor). He started his career as a lecturer at Delhi University. He has been associated with All India Radio (AIR) as a political analyst and commentator. He is a noted member of the Editors Guild of India. Umesh held senior position in the academic field as Director of Disha Education Society, Raipur. Apart from managing affairs of Disha Group of Institutions, he was designated as Pro VC of the upcoming Disha University. Umesh has been nominated by the Government of India to the Executive Council of the Prestigious Indian Institute of Mass Communications, New Delhi  Umesh Upadhyay was a member of Jury of Narad Jayanti Awards in New Delhi. Umesh Upadhyay is an Executive Board member of National Institute of Open Schools, An autonomous institution under the Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India. NIOS is the largest open schooling system in the world. Umesh Upadhyay has been nominated to be a member of the search committee to select new Vice Chancellor for the prestigious Makhan Lal National University of Journalism and Mass Communication, Bhopal
He is an alumnus of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) and the University of Delhi. He has done his Masters and M.Phil from the School of International Studies, JNU. He has served as a member of the Academic Council of Delhi University. He has also been trained at the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune, Asian Institute for Broadcasting Development (Kula Lumpur), BSkyB (London), Thames Studios (UK) and CPC (Delhi).
- Umesh Upadhyay is a TED speaker.
- He is also a public speaker and an expert on media issues.
- Umesh Upadhyay is a regular commentator on current national/international issues.
Awards & Memberships
- Umesh has been awarded with prestigious Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi Award for lifetime contribution in the field of Journalism and media 
- He is a member of the Management Committee and Executive Council of Makhanlal Chaturvedi National University for Mass Communication
and Journalism, Bhopal 
- Umesh is a member of the Advisory Council of National Institute of Mass Communication & Journalism, Ahmedabad 
- He is a member of the IIMC Society.
- Umesh is member of the Executive Council of the Indian Institute of Mass Communication, New Delhi.
- Umesh Upadhyay is a member of the Executive Board of National Open School Society of India (NOS)
- "Umesh Upadhyay to move back to RIL".
- "Reliance names Raghav Bahl Network 18 non-executive director". Live Mint. 7 July 2014.
- "With changes at Network18, a look at Media execs who've joined Reliance Industries". MediaNama.
- "Executive Team - Network 18". Network 18. Archived from the original on 18 March 2013.
- "Nominated by the Government of India to the Executive Council I.I.M.C., New Delhi". IIMC.
- "Member of Jury of Narad Jayanti Awards". Jagran.
- "Executive Board Member NIOS" (PDF). NIOS.
- "Executive Board Member NIOS". NIOS.
- "Vice Chancellor Search Committee Member for Makhan Lal National University". Bhaskar.
- "TED Talks Speaker". TED Talks.
- "TED Talks Speaker". TED.com.
- "Only Media Houses With social values and trust Will Have a Future". VSK Telangana.
- "People's intervention in the Future of Media". Samvit Kendra.
- "Seminar on 4G Journalism". AmarUjala.
- "Regular Columnist". Blogspot.
- "Recipient of Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi Award 2017". DailyHunt.
- "Member of the Management Committee and Executive Council MCNUMCJ Bhopal". Progressivemp.
- "Member of the Advisory Council of NIMCJ, Ahmedabad". NIMCJ.
- "Member of the IIMC Society". IIMC.
- "Member of the Executive Council at IIMC". IIMC.
- "Member of the Executive Board of National Open School Society of India" (PDF). NIOS.