|Umm az Zinat|
|Date of depopulation||May 1948|
|Cause(s) of depopulation||Fear of being caught up in the fighting|
Umm az-Zinat (Arabic: أُم الزينات, Umm ez Zînât) was a Palestinian Arab village in the Haifa Subdistrict. It was depopulated during the 1948 War on May 15, 1948 by Golani Brigade's Fourth Battalion. It was located 20.5 km southeast of Haifa.
In 1945, the village had a population of 1,470. Umm al-Zinat had an elementary school for boys which was founded by the Ottomans in 1888.
- Barron, J. B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1882). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology. 2. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.(p.43, p.71)
- Guérin, Victor (1875). Description Géographique Historique et Archéologique de la Palestine (in French). 2: Samarie, pt. 2. Paris: L'Imprimerie Nationale. (p. 244-245, 299)
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Khalidi, Walid (1992). All That Remains: The Palestinian Villages Occupied and Depopulated by Israel in 1948. Washington D.C.: Institute for Palestine Studies. ISBN 0-88728-224-5.
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Morris, Benny (2004). The Birth of the Palestinian Refugee Problem Revisited. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-00967-6.
- Mülinen, Egbert Friedrich von 1908, Beiträge zur Kenntnis des Karmels "Separateabdruck aus der Zeitschrift des Deutschen Palëstina-Vereins Band XXX (1907) Seite 117-207 und Band XXXI (1908) Seite 1-258." Umm ez-Zeinat: p.353 ff.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.(p. 155)
- Welcome To Umm al-Zinat
- Survey of Western Palestine, Map 8: IAA, Wikimedia commons
- Umm al-Zinat from the Khalil Sakakini Cultural Center
- Um Al-Zinat, from Dr. Moslih Kanaaneh
- Umm Zinat, from Zochrot
- Sixth Procession of Return by ADRID in Umm a-Zinat, 2003
- Ninth Procession of Return to Um a-Zinat, 2006
|This geography of Palestine article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|