An umpleby is an eight-foot-tall creature covered in wild, straggly brown hair. The umpleby stores large quantities of static electricity in its body, which it releases by touching its victims.
Trenton Webb, in his review of Monstrous Compendium Annual Two for British RPG magazine Arcane, called the shambling umpleby "without a shadow of a doubt" the star of the book: "Effectively a Bigfoot whose wooly hair generates shocking levels of static electricity, these hulking eccentric simpletons will test any parties patience and ability to save against cuteness." Webb also added that even without the umpleby the book "would be a necessary resource for all mainstream refs. With the shaggy-haired one, though, it rapidly approaches the essential."
- Turnbull, Don, ed. Fiend Folio (TSR, 1981)
- Williams, Skip, et al. Monstrous Compendium Fiend Folio Appendix (TSR, 1992)
- Pickens, Jon, ed. Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Two (TSR, 1995)
- "Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (Fool's Grove)". Retrieved 2014-09-25.
- Webb, Trenton (April 1996). "Games Reviews". Arcane. Future Publishing (5): 74.