Umzimkhulu Local Municipality

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Umzimkhulu
Local municipality
Official seal of Umzimkhulu
Seal
Location in KwaZulu-Natal
Location in KwaZulu-Natal
Country South Africa
Province KwaZulu-Natal
District Harry Gwala
Seat Umzimkhulu
Wards 20
Government[1]
 • Type Municipal council
 • Mayor Mphuthumi Mpabanga
Area
 • Total 2,435 km2 (940 sq mi)
Population (2011)[2]
 • Total 180,302
 • Density 74/km2 (190/sq mi)
Racial makeup (2011)[2]
 • Black African 99.3%
 • Coloured 0.3%
 • Indian/Asian 0.1%
 • White 0.1%
First languages (2011)[3]
 • Zulu 47.3%
 • Xhosa 46.3%
 • English 1.6%
 • Other 4.8%
Time zone SAST (UTC+2)
Municipal code KZN435

Umzimkhulu Local Municipality is an administrative area in the Harry Gwala District of KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa. Umzimkhulu is an isiXhosa and an isiZulu name meaning “Big/Great house”.[4]

About 90.8% of the population reside in rural areas, while the remaining 9.2% are urban based. Umzimkhulu faces severe backlogs with respect to water, sanitation and electricity provision. In addition, road infrastructure remains poor and provides only limited access to the area.[5]

Main places[edit]

The 2001 census divided the municipality into the following main places:[6]

Place Code Area (km2) Population
Bisi 23701 0.64 57
Clydesdale 23702 2.43 1,774
Dumakude 23703 178.10 10,252
Fodo 23704 237.33 17,311
Ibisi 23705 2.56 2,442
Indawana 23706 231.34 18,411
Jogilizwe 23707 39.00 5,222
Jongilizwe 23708 19.44 3,004
Ladamu 23709 78.41 6,701
Mabandla 23710 129.08 3,671
Malenge 23711 91.61 4,232
Mvolozi 23712 162.26 16,006
Nqozama 23713 4.26 287
Rietvlei 1 23714 40.55 2,666
Rietvlei 2 23715 4.25 700
Rietvlei 3 Part 1 23716 3.91 4,374
Rietvlei 3 Part 2 23724 0.13 221
Sandile 23717 133.94 8,735
Silahla 23718 126.47 13,275
Singisi 23719 1.36 813
Straalhoek Forrest Station 23721 0.20 66
Straalhoek 23720 0.13 135
Umzimkhulu 23725 12.56 6,519
Zwelethu 23723 203.23 17,240
Remainder of the municipality 23722 732.90 30,251

Politics[edit]

The municipal council consists of forty-three members elected by mixed-member proportional representation. Twenty-two councillors are elected by first-past-the-post voting in twenty-two wards, while the remaining twenty-one are chosen from party lists so that the total number of party representatives is proportional to the number of votes received. In the election of 3 August 2016 the African National Congress (ANC) won a majority of thirty-eight seats on the council.

The following table shows the results of the election.[7][8]

Party Votes Seats
Ward List Total  % Ward List Total
African National Congress 45,289 46,219 91,508 86.2 22 16 38
Economic Freedom Fighters 2,626 2,606 5,232 4.9 0 2 2
Democratic Alliance 1,865 1,845 3,710 3.5 0 1 1
African Independent Congress 323 1,513 1,836 1.7 0 1 1
Inkatha Freedom Party 718 685 1,403 1.3 0 1 1
Independent 1,331 1,331 1.3 0 0
African People's Convention 434 290 724 0.7 0 0 0
Azanian People's Organisation 205 188 393 0.4 0 0 0
Total 52,791 53,346 106,137 100.0 22 21 43
Spoilt votes 1,395 1,545 2,940

References[edit]

  1. ^ "Contact list: Executive Mayors". Government Communication & Information System. Retrieved 22 February 2012. 
  2. ^ a b "Statistics by place". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 27 September 2015. 
  3. ^ "Statistics by place". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 27 September 2015. 
  4. ^ South African Languages - Place names
  5. ^ KwaZulu-Natal Top Business - Umzimkhulu Municipality
  6. ^ Lookup Tables - Statistics South Africa
  7. ^ "Results Summary – All Ballots: Umzimkhulu" (PDF). Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 13 January 2017. 
  8. ^ "Seat Calculation Detail: Umzimkhulu" (PDF). Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 13 January 2017. 

External links[edit]

Coordinates: 30°15′45″S 29°55′15″E / 30.26250°S 29.92083°E / -30.26250; 29.92083