Healy in 2010
10 October 1981 |
Thurles, County Tipperary, Ireland
|Genres||Pop, dance, pop rock|
|Occupations||Singer, songwriter, guitarist, dancer|
|Associated acts||The Saturdays, Declan Nerney|
Una Theresa Imogene Foden (née Healy; born 10 October 1981) is an Irish singer-songwriter and musician. She rose to fame in 2008 as 1/5 of English-Irish girl group The Saturdays, signed to Fascination and Polydor Records. The group have achieved substantial success with numerous top-ten hits as well as a number one single. She is best known for being the only red haired member of girl group The Saturdays. She is currently the oldest member of the group.
Foden was born in Thurles, Ireland, to Anne, a nurse, and John Healy, a GP. She has a sister who is named Deirdre. Foden comes from a musical background and is the niece of country singer Declan Nerney. She is also a cousin of Irish athlete Paul Hession. At the age of 13, she gave up swimming (she was an All-Ireland champion swimmer at nine) and decided to teach herself to play using her mother's guitar and from then on began to write songs of her own.
After finishing school at 18, she decided to take a year out and became a medical secretary, and from then went on to study nursing and then primary teaching at Mary Immaculate College, but decided finally to go ahead and pursue her music passion at 23 years old. She began her music career playing guitar and singing in pubs and clubs around Ireland, solo and in bands. Whilst she was slowly finding success in her native Ireland as an indie solo artist, she felt she didn't have a firm direction in her career. Therefore, in the summer of 2007 she flew over to London to gain more exposure and experience and landed an audition for The Saturdays, which was her first audition for a major label and abroad.
Foden is a member of the girl group The Saturdays who have enjoyed thirteen top ten hits and four top ten albums. The group released their first single "If This Is Love" in July 2008. It peaked at number 8 in the UK. The Saturdays released a second single, "Up", where it charted at number five in the UK, and later the song enjoyed a certification of Silver in the United Kingdom. In late October 2008, the band released their first studio album, Chasing Lights, where it charted at number nine in the UK, and also achieved a certification of Platinum by BBI. The band released a third single from the album, "Issues", which also received a silver certificate by the BBI. The Saturdays released a cover of "Just Can't Get Enough" by Depeche Mode; the song debuted at number 2 in the UK, behind Flo Rida's "Right Round". The fifth and final single from the album was "Work", which was the first single by the girls to not reach the top 20. The Saturdays later went on a tour titled "The Work Tour."
In October 2009, the group released a second studio album, Wordshaker, which charted at number nine in United Kingdom and was given a silver certification by the BBI. The first single, "Forever Is Over", charted at number two in the UK. The Saturdays appeared in advertisements for several products including a brand of deodorant, tampons, mobile phones, an operating system, and hair removal products. But in early 2010, the Saturdays released a second and final single from their second debut album, "Ego", which charted at number nine. Although the song became their second lowest single to chart, it became one of their highest selling singles,[specify] after getting a certification of silver by the BBI.
In summer 2010, the Saturdays released their first mini album, their third album overall, Headlines!, which charted at number 3 in the UK and number 10 in Ireland. The band released their eighth single, "Missing You", which charted at number three in the UK and number six in Ireland. Rochelle Humes confirmed that the second single from the album would be "Higher". After Flo Rida beat the group to number one for the second time, the American rapper offered to do a collaboration with the band. It was later confirmed by the group's official website that Flo Rida had recorded vocals for "Higher". In November 2011, The Saturdays released On Your Radar.
In 2009, The Saturdays appeared in an episode of BBC TV series "Myths" which was their first acting role as a band. They played a singing group called "The Syrens" in a modern version of The Odyssey, with Una Healy (as she was then) in a lead role as "Peisone".
Foden starred in a reality series called Chasing The Saturdays which premiered on E! on 20 January 2013. The show features the group trying to make it in America. Upon its premiere in the United Kingdom, Chasing The Saturdays became that week's #1 most watched show with 72,000 viewers. Living for the Weekend was released by the group on 14 October 2013, and charted at number 10 on the UK album charts, making it their fourth top ten album to date.
While engaged to England international rugby player Ben Foden, Healy gave birth to the couple's first child, a girl, Aoife Belle Foden, on 13 March 2012. The couple married on 30 June 2012 in her native Ireland. On 17 October 2013, Una announced that she had changed her surname to Foden.
Foden won "Hottest Female 2009" in the Virgin Media Music Awards. Una appeared in the January 2010 edition of FHM along with the other members of the Saturdays. She was ranked number 19 and number 41 in FHM's Sexiest Women poll in 2010 and 2011, respectively. In FHM's 2012 poll, she had dropped down to 66th place.
Una is 5'7" , making her the second tallest of the girl group The Saturdays.
Una is known to be fierce and being that type of person who knows something about anything, as stated on a 2010 interview. With Vanessa White the duo are the wildest party goers and mostly called "Fierce-Ness" together.
- Una The Saturdays web site. Accessed 2012-02-02.
- "Here come the girls — to Thurles". Irish Examiner. 25 April 2012. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "Sorry Una, this is my Saturday" Daily Mail. Accessed 2012-02-02.
- "Saturdays star Una is singer Nerney's niece" 25 January 2008, Evening Herald. Accessed 2012-02-02.
- "Declan Nerney, The Saturdays and the Athenry connection" The Tuam Herald. Accessed 2012-02-02.
- "Una Healy — One of a five" at FHM web site. Accessed 2012-02-02.
- "The Saturdays' Una Healey: 'A bird s*** in my mouth once" 15 August 2010, Metro Online. Accessed 2012-02-02.
- "SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER: BEAUTY Una is tipped to be the next nadine as she targets chart success with her new girlband" 28 July 2008, Herald. Accessed 2012-02-02.
- "Thurles Girl In Top UK Band" Tipperary Star, 2 August 2008. Accessed 2012-02-02.
- "Don't call me a Spice Girl – I'm one of The Saturdays" 12 August 2010, Irish Independent. Accessed 2012-02-02.
- Song Contest Glinsk web site
- "BPI Certified Awards". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 6 September 2009.
- "» The Saturdays Forever Is Over from new album Wordshaker". Retrieved 2010-01-05.
- "The Saturdays talk about their new album artwork". EntertainmentWise (London). September 2011.
- "Top 10 Programmes — E!". BARB. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- "The Saturdays: Living for the Weekend – Charts at number 10". Official Charts Company. 20 October 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- iTunes - Música - Sorry de Una Healy
- Heath, Olivia (18 September 2013). "The Saturdays' Una Healy lands job as a children's TV presenter". Reveal magazine (Nat Mags). Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- "Sorry by Una Healy". iTunes.
- "Una Healy Gives Birth". contactmusic. 13 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- "Una Healy reveals baby choking scare". RTÉ. 2 April 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-02.
- "The farewell kiss... Una Healy and Ben Foden say an emotional goodbye as they prepare to walk down the aisle" 29 June 2012, Daily Mail
- "Una Healy and Ben Foden bid farewell as they prepare for wedding day" 29 June 2012, Metro
- "‘Having a last single drink’: Una Healy kisses Ben Foden goodbye – the next time they meet will be at the altar!" 29 June 2012, Daily Mirror
- "Cheryl Cole snatches back Hottest Female title 11 Feb 2010, This is London article
- "The Saturdays light up this month's FHM!". fhm.com. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- "Full list of FHM's top 100 world's sexiest women 2010" 29 April 2010, Metro article
- "FHM 100 Sexiest 2012 voting has closed!" 29 March 2012, FHM web site
- "FHM's 100 Sexiest Women In The World 2012: The full list!" 2 May 2012, FM Magazine
- Profile The Saturdays Website
- Una Healy at the Internet Movie Database
- Una Foden's Official Twitter
- Una Foden's Official Instagram
- Una Foden's Official Blog