This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Coordinates (Una, Himachal Pradesh, India): Coordinates:|
|Established||1 September 1972|
|• Parliamentary Constituency||Hamirpur|
|• Member of Parliament||Anurag Thakur|
|• Total||1,540 km2 (590 sq mi)|
|• Density||340/km2 (880/sq mi)|
|• Sex ratio||977|
|Time zone||UTC+05:30 (IST)|
|Vehicle registration||HP-72 (District RTO)|
|Average annual precipitation||1253 mm|
Una is a district in the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh. Una shares its border with the Hoshiarpur and Rupnagar districts of Punjab and Kangra, Hamirpur and Bilaspur district of Himachal Pradesh. The terrain is generally plain with semi hills.
Una has five tehsils, namely Ghanari, Haroli, Amb, Bangana and Una itself. It was a tehsil of Hoshiarpur district until the Punjab Reorganisation Act, 1966 and Kangra district until 1972, after which it became a district of Himachal Pradesh.
Una lies in the western part of Himachal Pradesh, with the Sivalik Hills of the Himalayas rolling on western side and Solah Singhi range on the eastern side. The Satluj river alongside Shahtalai, known for the shrine of Baba Balak Nath passes through south of district near Nangal Dam and Beas passes at the north of district near Pong Dam, Talwara.
The altitude varies from more than 409 meters in plains to over 1000 meters in hills. Swan River which is basically seasonal river and also known as soul of district Una flows 65 km right across the Jaswan Valley towards south until it submerges in the Sutlej river near Anandpur.
According to the 2011 census Una district has a population of 521,173, giving it a ranking of 543rd in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 338 inhabitants per square kilometre (880/sq mi). Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 16.24%. Una has a sex ratio of 977 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 87.23%.
Local languages are Hindi, Punjabi and Pahari. Punjabi is mostly used in plain areas of Tehsil Ghanari, Haroli Tehsil, Tehsil Una and parts of Tehsil Amb. In other areas like Tehsil Bangana and Chintpurni (Part of Amb Tehsil) Pahari dialect is spoken.
According to the 2011 census, the total population of Una was 521,173 with a sex-ratio of 976. The literacy rate stood at 86.53%. The total area of the district is 1,549 km2 (598 sq mi). The urban population contributes 8.62% of the total population. Hinduism is the most common religion. Sikhism and Islam have sizable number of followers. Christians and others form very small minorities.
|41||Chintpurni (SC)||Balbir Singh||Bhartiya Janata Party||Chairman, Human Development Committee|
|42||Gagret||Rajesh Thakur||Bhartiya Janata Party|
|43||Haroli||Mukesh Agnihotri||Indian National Congress||Leader Of Opposition|
|44||Una||Satpal Raizada||Indian National Congress|
|45||Kutlehar||Virender Kanwar||Bhartiya Janata Party||Rural Development & Panchayati Raj Minister|
- Sd Public Sr Sec School , Santokhgarh
- Rudra International School, Basal
- Knowledge Valley International school, Dhussara
- DAV Sr Sec Public School, Ambota
- Himalayan COnvent, Bhanjal
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Una
- Mount Carmel School, Una
- Mount Everest Model High School, Mehatpur
- PAR Model High School, Dohgi
- Sai Public School
- Saraswati School, Rampur
- Cambridge International School, Dhussara
- Sunrise Public Sr Sec School, Saloh
- Vashist Public School
- ANM International School , Tahliwal
- Saint D.R Sr Sec Public School , Gagret
- DAV Public Sr Sec School ,Una
Place of interest
- Chintpurni is the most visited temple by Hindus and Sikhs, especially on weekends and on special religious days. The Hindu genealogy registers are kept at Chintpurni too.
- Mahakaal Mahakaali Temple is a temple situated in Rakkar Colony, Una dedicated to the Goddess Mahakali & Lord of Lords Mahakaal.
- Sada Shiv Temple a.k.a. Dhyunsar Mahadev Temple is situated on a hill top in Bahi village near Talmehra in Bangana Tehsil of Una district.
- Shiv Bari Temple Gagret on Hoshiarpur-Dharmsala road, on the bank of river Swan (Sombhadra) is located the Shiv Bari which is believed to have been the practicing range for archery pupils of Guru Dronacharya.
- Dera Baba Bharbhag Singh lies in village Mairi of Amb Tehsil. A visit to the ‘dera’( the holy shrine ) is believed to cure patients possessed by evil spirits or affected with other malign influences.
- Dharamshala Mahanta situated near the holy abode of Goddess Chintpurni, about 62 kms. from Una, Dharamshala Mahanta is a “matha”(priory) established by a solitarian Baba Nakodar Dass during the reign of Mughal Emperor Akbar. A large number of devotees visiting Goddess Chintpurni visit Dharamshala Mahanta to pay their obeisance.
- Baba Garib Nath Temple Androli near Raipur Maidan on Thana kalan to Bhakra road.
- Pir Nigaha situated in Basoli village which is about 8 kms from Una. A cavern hewn out of the solid rock said to be initially the handiwork of some ‘pandas’ and appropriated later on by the Muhammadons, had shot up to fame in the past few years.
- Gobind Sagar Lake
- Brahmahooti or Brahmauti or Brahmooti temple is dedicated to lord Brahma & is the only second temple in the world ( after Pushkar Rajasthan).This famous temple is near Una Himachal on the banks of satluj river in nangal Dam. Actually discharged icy waters of satluj from Bhakhra dam washes the feets of Lord Brahma in this ancient temple.
Una district is situated on the border of Himachal and Punjab. UNA is well connected by Roads with all the major cities / towns of Himachal Pradesh as well as with the neighboring states. UNA is accessible throughout the year and major mode of transportation is by road. Three national highways (NH-503, NH-503A, NH-3) pass through the district. Una is located about 375 km (233 mi) north of New Delhi and 120 km (75 mi) from Chandigarh.
Major bus stands of the district are Una, Amb, Daultpur, Gagret, Santokhgarh , Mubarikpur, Haroli and Bangana . Major Modes of local commuting are Buses, Auto Rickshaw and Taxi.
The Una city is served by the Una Himachal railway station. It is connected by a single broad gauge railway line, which is the only one in the whole state. It enters Una from Nangal (Punjab) and runs all the way to Daulatpur Chowk. Three express trains (Himachal Express Jan Shatabdi Express and Vande Bharat Express) connect it to Delhi daily.
Places near Una
- "Swan River". Archived from the original on 1 October 2012.
- Decadal Variation In Population Since 1901
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "Una district Population". Census India. Retrieved 11 July 2021.
- C-16 Population By Mother Tongue – Himachal Pradesh (Report). Office of the Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 6 October 2019.
- "Schools - Himachal Pradesh" (PDF). himachal.nic.in. Retrieved 25 April 2022.
- "हिमाचल प्रदेश: स्कूल बस दुर्घटनाग्रस्त, अध्यापिका समेत 6 बच्चे घायल". Amar Ujala (in Hindi). 19 November 2018. Retrieved 15 March 2022.
- "Vashist Public School, Behdala, Una: Admission, Fee, Facilities, Affiliation". school.careers360.com. Retrieved 1 March 2022.
- "Mahakaal Mahakali Temple". Punjab Kesari.
- "Places of Interest | District Una, Government of Himachal Pradesh | India". Retrieved 2 July 2022.