Cover of Unbelievable Gwenpool #1 (June 2016).
Art by Gurihiru Studios.
|Publication date||June 2016 – April 2018|
|No. of issues||26|
|Written by||Christopher Hastings|
The Unbelievable Gwenpool, more commonly called Unbelievable Gwenpool, is a comic book series published by Marvel Comics, featuring Gwenpool as its main protagonist. The series was a spin-off from the character's feature in a Howard the Duck comic, and was Gwenpool's first solo series. The series lasted 26 issues, #1-25 and a special #0 that collected her intro material. The series ran from June 2016 to April 2018.
Gwenpool's first appearance was on a variant cover for Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars, and the character became a surprising hit among fans despite not appearing in an actual comic. After receiving a holiday special one-shot and appearing as a secondary character in a Howard the Duck story, Marvel announced the release of Unbelievable Gwenpool in December 2015, retaining the core creative team of Christopher Hastings and Gurihiru who had developed the Gwenpool holiday one-shot. The series debuted in June 2016, and released a special #0 issue along with Unbelievable Gwenpool #2 that collected the character's Christmas and Howard the Duck adventures.
According to comic book review aggregator Comic Book Roundup, Unbelievable Gwenpool has an average review score of 8 out of 10, indicating generally favorable reviews. Critics generally praised Hastings' writing (noting that he did not bog down the character in origin stories), and especially the art from Gurihiru, but criticized the series for being a "cynical cashgrab" and for "cringe-worthy" dialogue and pacing issues near the end of the series' run.
Kinja's Observation Deck wrote favorably of the last issue, where Gwenpool converses with other characters outside the fabric of reality in an effort to understand her actions, saying that the series finale demonstrated the "incredible power of comic books."
- Unbelievable Gwenpool Vol. 1: Believe It [#1-4] (ISBN 1302901761)
- Unbelievable Gwenpool Vol. 2: Head of Modok [#5-10] (ISBN 130290177X)
- Unbelievable Gwenpool Vol. 3: Totally in Continuity [#11-15] ISBN 1302905473)
- Unbelievable Gwenpool Vol. 4: Beyond The Fourth Wall [#16-20] (ISBN 1302905481)
- Unbelievable Gwenpool Vol. 5: Lost In The Plot [#21-25] (ISBN 130291040X)
In other media
Hulu will air a M.O.D.O.K. animated series, featuring the Mercenary Organization Dedicated Only to Killing introduced in The Unbelievable Gwenpool, with MODOK voiced by Patton Oswalt, who will also co-write and executive produce the series with Jordan Blum.
- "And Finally... Has Marvel Noticed That Gwenpool Is A Thing Now? - Bleeding Cool News And Rumors". Bleeding Cool News And Rumors. 2015-08-21. Retrieved 2018-07-09.
- "Marvel announces new 'Gwenpool' series". EW.com. Retrieved 2018-07-09.
- "Unbelievable Gwenpool Reviews". ComicBookRoundup.com. Retrieved 2018-07-09.
- "Marvel's UNBELIEVABLE GWENPOOL #1 (Review) | Nerdist". Nerdist. 2016-04-16. Retrieved 2018-07-09.
- "The Unbelievable Gwenpool #21 Review: Believable And Bland". Bleeding Cool News And Rumors. 2017-09-20. Retrieved 2018-07-09.
- alliterator. "The Unbelievable Gwenpool Finale is All About the Incredible Power of Comic Books". Observation Deck. Retrieved 2018-07-09.
- "Top 300 Comics Actual--April 2016". Retrieved 2018-07-09.
- Lesley Goldberg (February 11, 2019). "Marvel, Hulu Set Four-Show Animated Slate". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 11, 2019.