Unbroken: Path to Redemption
|Unbroken: Path to Redemption|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Harold Cronk|
by Laura Hillenbrand
|Music by||Brandon Roberts|
|Edited by||Amy McGrath|
|Distributed by||Pure Flix Entertainment|
|Budget||$4.9 million-$6 million|
|Box office||$6.2 million|
Unbroken: Path to Redemption is a 2018 American Christian drama film directed by Harold Cronk, and acts as a sequel to the 2014 film Unbroken, although none of the original cast or crew returns except the producer Matthew Baer, and actors Vincenzo Amato and Maddalena Ischiale. The film chronicles Louis Zamperini following his return from World War II, his personal struggles to adjust back to civilian life and his eventual conversion to evangelical Christianity after attending one of Billy Graham's church revivals.
The film stars Samuel Hunt as Zamperini, Merritt Patterson, Vincenzo Amato, Vanessa Bell Calloway, Bobby Campo, Bob Gunton, Maddalena Ischiale, David Sakurai and Gary Cole, as well as evangelist Will Graham portraying his grandfather. It was theatrically released by Pure Flix Entertainment in the United States on September 14, 2018 to generally negative reviews from critics, and grossed $6 million against its $6 million budget.
Based on Laura Hillenbrand’s bestselling book, the film begins where the movie Unbroken concludes, sharing the next chapter of the true story of Olympian and World War II veteran Louis Zamperini. Haunted by nightmares of his torment, Louie sees himself as anything but a hero. Then, he meets Cynthia, a young woman who captures his eye—and his heart. Louie’s quest for revenge drives him deeper into despair, putting the couple on the brink of divorce until Cynthia experiences Billy Graham’s 1949 Los Angeles Crusade, where both find faith in Jesus Christ, a renewed commitment to their marriage, and Louie finds forgiveness for his wartime captors.
- Samuel Hunt as Louis Zamperini
- Merritt Patterson as Cynthia Applewhite-Zamperini
- Vincenzo Amato as Anthony Zamperini
- Vanessa Bell Calloway as Lila Burkholder
- Bobby Campo as Pete Zamperini
- Bob Gunton as Major Zeigler
- Maddalena Ischiale as Louise Zamperini
- David Sakurai as Mutsuhiro "The Bird" Watanabe
- Gary Cole as Dr. George Bailey
- Will Graham as Billy Graham
- David DeLuise as Howard Lambert
- Gianna Simone as Sylvia Zamperini
- April Bowlby as Cecy Phillips
The film was originally going to be released on October 5, 2018, but was moved up from its original release to September 14, 2018.
In the United States and Canada, Unbroken: Path to Redemption was released alongside White Boy Rick, A Simple Favor and The Predator, and was projected to gross $2–6 million from 1,620 theaters in its opening weekend. It ended up debuting to just $2.2 million, finishing tenth at the box office. It dropped 40% in its second weekend to $1.3 million, finishing 12th.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 36% based on 25 reviews with an average rating of 5.13/10. The site's critical consensus reads "Unbroken: Path to Redemption overestimates the power of its inspirational real-life story, settling for a dull drama that too often preaches to the choir." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 38 out of 100, based on 7 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A" on an A+ to F scale, while PostTrak reported that filmgoers gave it 4 out of 5 stars.
- Captured by Grace, a documentary about Louis Zamperini.
- Film and Television Tax Credit Program Program 2.0 (PDF) (Report). California Film Commission. p. 9. Retrieved October 4, 2018.
- Edwards, Rona (August 6, 2018). "Let No Great Story Go Untold - Matt Baer Pivots 'Unbroken' Toward A New Market". Producers Guild of America. Retrieved September 14, 2018.
- "Unbroken: Path to Redemption (2018)". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved October 16, 2018.
- BWW News Desk (June 28, 2018). "UNBROKEN: PATH TO REDEMPTION Moves Up Release Date to September 14". BroadwayWorld. Retrieved March 29, 2019.
- Alexander, Bryan (October 13, 2017). "'Unbroken' still: Louis Zamperini's heroic story returns with 'Path to Redemption'". USA Today. Gannett Company. Retrieved March 29, 2019.
- Lenker, Maureen Lee (March 20, 2018). "See Louis Zamperini's story continue in 'Unbroken: Path to Redemption' trailer". Entertainment Weekly. Meredith Corporation. Retrieved March 29, 2019.
- Rubin, Rebeeca (September 11, 2018). "Box Office: 'The Predator' to Feast on 'A Simple Favor', 'White Boy Rick'". Variety Magazine. Penske Media. Retrieved September 11, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (September 15, 2018). "The Predator' Shushes 'The Nun' With $26M Opening; Why 'White Boy Rick' Is So Pale At $9M+ – Saturday Box Office". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved September 16, 2018.
- Fuster, Jeremy (September 15, 2018). "'The Predator' Hunts Down No. 1 Box Office Spot". TheWrap. Retrieved September 16, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (September 23, 2018). "'The House With A Clock In Its Walls' Sounding Near $27M Alarm; Counterprogramming Still In Deep Sleep". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved September 23, 2018.
- "Unbroken: Path to Redemption (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved September 15, 2018.
- "Unbroken: Path to Redemption reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved September 14, 2018.
|This 2010s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|