|Motto: "Texas Best Kept Secret..."|
|• Total||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|• Land||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||180 ft (55 m)|
|• Density||294.1/sq mi (113.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1349024|
|Website||City of Uncertain Texas|
Uncertain is located on the shore of Caddo Lake and derives its name from surveyors who were attempting to delineate the border between Texas and Louisiana and discovered that they were "uncertain" as to which side of the line they were on as they began surveying that particular part of Caddo Lake.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 150 people, 77 households, and 49 families residing in the city. The population density was 294.1 people per square mile (113.6/km²). There were 137 housing units at an average density of 268.7 per square mile (103.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 72.67% White, 26.67% African American and 0.67% (i.e. 1 person) Native American.
There were 77 households out of which 14.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.4% were married couples living together, 11.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.1% were non-families. 31.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.95 and the average family size was 2.32.
In the city, the population was spread out with 10.0% under the age of 18, 5.3% from 18 to 24, 19.3% from 25 to 44, 35.3% from 45 to 64, and 30.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 56 years. For every 100 females there were 105.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 104.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $27,000, and the median income for a family was $43,438. Males had a median income of $36,250 versus $38,333 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,352. There were 5.7% of families and 12.6% of the population living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and 10.0% of those over 64.
The City of Uncertain is served by the Karnack Independent School District.
- A 2017 documentary film Uncertain is about the city, several of its residents, and its lake with its extreme weed growth problem.
- In 2010, several scenes from the film Shark Night 3D were filmed at Caddo Lake.
- In 1966, several scenes from the film Curse of the Swamp Creature were filmed around the local Fly-N-Fish Lodge Airport.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "City of Uncertain Texas". City of Uncertain Texas. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.