|Kaliyan, Sargam Time, Daak Time, Siyasi Kaliyan, Sargam Back Home character|
Farooq Qaiser and his puppet Uncle Sargam
|Created by||Farooq Qaiser|
|Voiced by||Farooq Qaiser|
Uncle Sargam (Urdu: انکل سرگم) is a puppet character that first appeared in the Pakistani children's television show Kaliyan, aired on PTV in 1976. Uncle Sargam was created and voiced by the award-winning puppeteer and television director Farooq Qaiser. Uncle Sargam and Maasi Museebtay are regarded as Pakistan's legendary puppet duo.
The satirical Uncle Sargam was the most vocal critic on state television under General Zia-ul-Haq's dictatorship in the 1980s. Later appearances were in the TV show Daak Time in 1993. The character appeared and hosted a television talk show Syasi Kaliyan at Dawn News in 2010.
The character also appeared in a Pakistan National Council of the Arts-organised show in Islamabad. Uncle Sargam later appeared in a charity show function organised by the NGO Mashal at the National Library of Pakistan in Islamabad in July 2013. In March 2014, the Oxford University Press held an Uncle Sargam puppet show to help children differentiate between original and pirated books at Peshawar’s Archives Library.
- "Paying tribute: After decades, Uncle Sargam remains darling of the crowd". tribune.com.pk. 17 June 2012. Retrieved 26 March 2013.
- Subba, Bhim (2000). Kidstuff: A Resource Book for Media Covering Children in South and South East Asia. Panos Institute South Asia. p. 62. ISBN 9789993330462. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
First, they called on the services of Uncle Sargam and Maasi Museebte, Pakistan's legendary puppet duo, to put on a command performance for the children of Thatta.
- Awan, Nishat (2017). Diasporic Agencies: Mapping the City Otherwise. Taylor & Francis. p. 79. ISBN 9781317151272. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- "'Uncle Sargam' revives old memories". dailytimes.com.pk. 16 June 2012. Retrieved 26 March 2013.
- "Mashal school: Uncle Sargam lifts spirits at charity show". tribune.com.pk. 7 July 2013. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- Farooq, Umer (March 27, 2014). "First edition: Children learn about piracy from Uncle Sargam". Express Tribune. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- Kundi, Asma (9 February 2018). "Lok Virsa pays tribute to Uncle Sargam creator Farooq Qaiser". Dawn. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- Jabri, Parvez (9 February 2018). "Uncle Sargam Diorama inaugurated at Heritage Museum". Business Recorder. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- Ali, Muhammad (December 15, 2016). "Recalling Uncle Sargam through Omar Gilani's painting". The Nation. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
|This puppet-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a fictional television character is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|