Undefeated (2011 film)
|Directed by||Daniel Lindsay and|
T. J. Martin
|Produced by||Rich Middlemas|
|Music by||Michael Brook|
|Edited by||Daniel Lindsay|
Zipper Bros Films
Five Smooth Stones Productions
Level 22 Productions
|Distributed by||The Weinstein Company (US)|
Alliance Films (Canada)
|Box office||$562,218 |
Undefeated is a 2011 documentary film directed by Daniel Lindsay and T. J. Martin. The film documents the struggles of a high school football team, the Manassas Tigers of Memphis, as they attempt a winning season after years of losses. The team is turned around by coach Bill Courtney, who helps form a group of young men into an academic and athletic team.
Lindsay and Martin served as co-directors, cinematographers, sound recorders and editors, recording more than 500 hours of footage.
The film received critical acclaim at the South by Southwest conference in March 2011. The Weinstein Company was reported to have closed a seven-figure deal for distribution and remake rights to Undefeated.
The film currently holds a 96% approval rating on review aggregator site Rotten Tomatoes, based on 100 reviews with an average rating of 7.9/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "It covers familiar sports documentary territory, but Undefeated proves there are still powerful stories to be told on the high school gridiron." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 71 out of 100, based on 29 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "Undefeated". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- Saito, Stephen (March 23, 2011). "'Undefeated' Reviewed". IFC News. IFC Films. Archived from the original on March 26, 2011. Retrieved April 25, 2011.
- Turan, Kenneth (February 17, 2012). "Movie review: 'Undefeated'". Los Angeles Times.
- Pilon, Mary (February 25, 2012). "A Coach Inspires an Artist". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved February 29, 2012.
- Fleming, Mike (March 14, 2011). "SXSW: Gridiron Documentary 'Undefeated' Scores Big Weinstein Company Deal". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved April 25, 2011.
- "Undefeated (2012)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved June 22, 2018.
- "Undefeated Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved June 22, 2018.
- Farmer, Sam (February 27, 2012). "Former NFL player Ed Cunningham hits Oscar gold with 'Undefeated'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 27, 2012.
- Undefeated Wins Documentary Feature; 2012 Oscars