Under Cover (TV series)
|Created by||William Broyles, Jr.|
|Written by||William Broyles, Jr.
Thania St. John
Michael Paul Chan
G. W. Bailey
|Theme music composer||Cameron Allen|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||13 (4 unaired)|
|Executive producer(s)||William Broyles, Jr.
John Sacret Young
|Producer(s)||Terry Morse, Jr.|
|Location(s)||Los Angeles, California, United States
|Cinematography||Roy H. Wagner
Thomas Alger Olgeirson
|Editor(s)||John A. Barton
Donald R. Rode
David A. Simmons
|Running time||45 minutes|
Warner Bros. Television
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Original release||January 7
July 20, 1991
Under Cover is an American secret agent drama series that premiered on ABC on January 7, 1991. The series starred Anthony John Denison and Linda Purl as Dylan and Kate Del'Amico, a husband and wife who share the same day job—as spies for a fictional U.S. intelligence agency.
Under Cover follows the couple's adventures as they attempt to balance the demands of a sometimes deadly profession while raising two children. The series co-starred John Rhys-Davies as Flynn, the team's gadget man (analogous to James Bond's Q) who is also a deadly assassin.
Although well received by critics and launched with a high-rated made-for-TV movie, Under Cover was adversely affected by the outbreak of the 1991 Persian Gulf War. A two-part episode had been produced involving the Del'Amicos infiltrating Iraq in the wake of its invasion of Kuwait, and culminated with an American military strike on the country. The night the first episode was scheduled to air, real-life hostilities erupted. The two-part storyline was postponed indefinitely and the series itself was effectively cancelled. Following the end of the war, the series resumed for several more episodes, but it was soon officially cancelled, though not before the pulled Iraq episode was finally broadcast. Several episodes have subsequently been edited together as TV-movies and syndicated.
- Dylan Del'Amico (Anthony Denison)
- Kate Del'Amico (Linda Purl)
- Flynn (John Rhys Davies)
- Grimbach (Raye Birk)
- Dr. Lee (Michael Paul Chan)
- Col. Kalganin (Paul Freeman)
- Alex Robbins (Kasi Lemmons)
- Bing Tupper (Randolph Mantooth)
- Emily Del'Amico (Marne Patterson)
- Graham Parker (John Slattery)
- Stewart Merriman (Josef Sommer)
- Director Waugh (G. W. Bailey)
|No.||Title ||Directed by ||Original air date||Prod.
|1||"The Company"||Harry Winer||January 7, 1991||14981|
|Note: Two-hour pilot.|
|2||"Sacrifices (part 1)"
"Before the Storm (part 1)"
|Michael Fresco||January 12, 1991||187083|
|3||"Truth & Consequences"||Paul Krasny||January 26, 1991||187089|
|4||"War Game"||Jonathan Sanger||February 2, 1991||187084|
|5||"Family Album"||Vern Gillum||February 9, 1991||187082|
|6||"Mr. Butterfly"||Jonathan Sanger||February 16, 1991||187088|
|7||"Sacrifices (part 2)"
"Before the Storm (part 2)"
|Michael Fresco||July 13, 1991||187085|
|8||"Close to Home"
"Spy Games (part 1)"
|Christopher Leitch||July 20, 1991||187081|
"Spy Games (part 2)"
|Michael Fresco||July 20, 1991||187092|
|10||"Eeney, Meaney, Miney, Mole"||Richard Compton||Unaired||187086|
|12||"Our Man in Huallaga"||Jonathan Sanger||Unaired||187090|
- Rohter, Larry (January 6, 1991). "Television; The Couple Next Door? Just Folks Whose Phone Is Tapped". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-12-02.
- Brooks, Tim; Marsh, Earle (2003). "Under Cover (Espionage/Foreign Intrigue)". The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows 1946–Present (8th ed.). New York: Ballantine Books. p. 1252. ISBN 978-0-345-45542-0.
- From the United States Copyright Office catalog: "Public Catalog - Copyright Catalog (1978 to present) - Basic Search [search: "Under Cover : no."]". United States Copyright Office. Retrieved 2017-06-19.
- "Under Cover - Eeney, Meaney, Miney, Mole". Library of Congress. Retrieved 2009-12-02.