Under Pressure (cookbook)
Cover of Under Pressure
|Author||Thomas Keller and Michael Ruhlman|
|Published||17 November 2008 (Artisan)|
Under Pressure: Cooking Sous Vide is a 2008 cookbook written by American chefs Thomas Keller and Michael Ruhlman. The cookbook contains a variety of sous-vide recipes, a technique Thomas Keller began experimenting with in the 1990s. The recipes in Under Pressure are those prepared in Thomas Keller's The French Laundry and Per Se restaurants. The book also contains sous-vide cooking techniques and tips, including discussions of cooking time, food temperature, and food safety.
Under Pressure has been called a definitive sous-vide cookbook. Tam Ngo of Serious Eats found that Under Pressure's recipes "resist compromise and restrict substitution" and "are not always appropriate outside of the restaurant kitchen", due in part to the expensive equipment required to cook the dishes. Publishers Weekly found that the recipes were "so artfully arranged they would not be out of place in a modern art museum". The Washington Post was also ambivalent, finding that Under Pressure's recipes "can be made only if the reader invests thousands of dollars in highly specialized equipment, and even then the dishes often demand days of preparation, not to mention weeks, months or years of practice".
- Ruhlman, Michael (17 November 2008). "Under Pressure: Cooking Sous Vide". Ruhlman. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- Bauer, Michael (30 August 2012). "We've banned foie gras, now let's ban sous vide". Sfgate. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- Ngo, Tam (11 December 2008). "Cooking from Thomas Keller's 'Under Pressure'". Serious Eats. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- "Under Pressure, Thomas Keller". The Gastronomer's Bookshelf. 9 February 2009. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- Mahoney, John (25 January 2010). "Sous Vide Supreme Review: The Tenderest Meats, From the Science Lab to Your Home Kitchen". Popular Science. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- "Under Pressure: Cooking Sous Vide". Publishers Weekly. 17 November 2008. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- Viestad, Andreas (21 January 2009). "Invite Science to the Party". Washington Post. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- Pariseau, Leslie (16 December 2008). "Thomas Keller, Cool Under Pressure". Saveur. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- Stainsby, Mia (15 February 2016). "Big trend in restaurant kitchens, sous vide comes home". Vancouver Sun. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- "Under Pressure". California Bookwatch. Gale Group. 1 January 2009. Archived from the original on 10 September 2016. Retrieved 2 July 2016 – via HighBeam Research.