Under Secretary of the Treasury for International Affairs
The Under Secretary of the Treasury for International Affairs is a senior position within the United States Department of the Treasury responsible for advising the Secretary of the Treasury on international economic issues. The office is currently held by David Malpass.
The Under Secretary has oversight of the following:
- Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for International Finance
- Europe and Eurasia
- Western Hemisphere
- Middle East and Africa
- International Monetary and Financial Policy
- Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for International Markets and Development
- Energy and Environment
- Trade and Investment
- Investment Security
- Technical Assistance and Afghanistan
- Development and Debt
- International Financial Institution Representatives
Former Under Secretaries
The office of Under Secretary for International Affairs was vacant for nearly a year, following the November 2013 departure of Lael Brainard, who had been appointed by President Barack Obama in April 2010. On Wednesday, February 12, 2014, the White House Press Office announced that U.S. President Barack Obama had nominated D. Nathan Sheets, of Maryland, to the U.S. Senate for confirmation as her replacement. On September 18, 2014, Sheets was confirmed unanimously by the U.S. Senate for the position. Notable former Under Secretaries include Paul Volcker, David H. McCormick, Timothy D. Adams, John B. Taylor, Timothy F. Geithner, David Mulford, and Lawrence H. Summers.
The Under Secretary leads the development and implementation of policies in the areas of international finance, trade in financial services, investment, economic development, international debt. It also leads the development of policies on U.S. participation in the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, and the other multilateral development banks (including the Inter-American Development Bank, the African Development Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development). The Under Secretary also coordinates financial market policy with the G7 industrial nations.
- "Paul A. Volcker | Federal Reserve History". www.federalreservehistory.org. Retrieved 2017-09-04.
- "U.S. Treasury - Biography of David H. McCormick, Under Secretary for International Affairs". Archived from the original on November 7, 2007. Retrieved September 21, 2007.
- "U.S. Treasury - Biography of Timothy D. Adams, Under Secretary for International Affairs". Archived from the original on September 27, 2007. Retrieved September 21, 2007.
- "Policies in International Finance 2001-2005". Retrieved September 21, 2007.
- "Timothy F. Geithner, President of the New York Fed - Organization - About the Fed - Federal Reserve Bank of New York". Retrieved September 21, 2007.
- "History of the President's Office". Archived from the original on July 4, 2007. Retrieved September 21, 2007.