Under Secretary of Commerce for Industry and Security
Under Secretary of Commerce
for Industry and Security
The Under Secretary of Commerce for Industry and Security, or USC(IS), is a high-ranking official in the United States Department of Commerce and the principal advisor to the United States Secretary of Commerce on the export of sensitive goods and technologies. The Under Secretary is the head of the Bureau of Industry and Security within the Commerce Department.
The Under Secretary is appointed by the President of the United States with the consent of the United States Senate to serve at the pleasure of the President. The current Under Secretary is Eric L. Hirschhorn, who was appointed by President Barack Obama on April 2, 2010.
The Under Secretary of Commerce for Industry and Security is the principal staff officer of the Commerce Department responsible for advancing United States national security and foreign policy. The Under Secretary oversees the Bureau of Industry and Security.
The Under Secretary promotes American economic objectives by ensuring an effective export control and treaty compliance system and promoting continued strategic technology leadership. This includes primary focus on Export restrictions, export administration, anti-boycott enforcement, implementation of certain treaty requirements, defense priorities and allocations, strategic trade, and promotion of the defense-industrial base of the United States.
With the rank of Under Secretary, the USC(IS) is a Level III position within the Executive Schedule. Since January 2010, the annual rate of pay for Level III is $165,300.
The position of Under Secretary, as well as the Bureau of Industry and Security, was created in 2001 in the wake of the September 11 terror attacks to assist in ensuring United States global security interests.
Officials reporting to the USC(IS) include:
- Deputy Under Secretary of Commerce for Industry and Security
- Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Export Administration
- Deputy Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Export Administration
- Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Export Enforcement
- Deputy Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Export Enforcement
- Chief Counsel for Industry and Security
- Chief Financial Officer and Director of Administration
- Under Secretary for Industry and Security
- The biography of Eric L. Hirschorn, Under Secretary for Industry and Security under President Barack Obama.
|This United States government–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|