Under Secretary of Commerce for International Trade
||It has been suggested that this article be merged into International Trade Administration. (Discuss) Proposed since July 2015.|
Under Secretary of Commerce
for International Trade
|Formation||January 1, 1989|
The Under Secretary of Commerce for International Trade, or USC(IT), is a high-ranking official within the United States Department of Commerce, and is the principal adviser to the Secretary of Commerce on American imports and exports. The Under Secretary is the head of the International Trade Administration within the Commerce Department.
The Under Secretary is appointed by the President of the United States with the consent of the United States Senate. The current incumbent is Stefan M. Selig, who was nominated by President Obama for the position of Under Secretary for International Trade on November 6, 2013, and confirmed by the Senate on June 4, 2014.
The Under Secretary of Commerce for International Trade is the principal officer of the United States Department of Commerce charged with promoting American exports and assisting general international trade. As the Administrator of the International Trade Administration, the Under Secretary also sits on the Board of Directors of the Overseas Private Investment Corporation, and serves as a member of the Tourism Policy Council and the National Intellectual Property Council. The Under Secretary participates in the development of United States trade policy, identifies and resolves market access and compliance issues, administers American trade laws, and undertakes a range of trade promotion and trade advocacy efforts.
Officials reporting to the USC(IT) include:
- Deputy Under Secretary of Commerce for International Trade
- Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Global Markets and Director General of the U.S. & Foreign Commercial Service
- Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Enforcement and Compliance
- Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Industry and Analysis
- "Biography of Stefan Selig". Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- "US CODE: Title 22,2124. Tourism Policy Council". Retrieved September 22, 2007.
- "US CODE: Title 15,1128. National Intellectual Property Law Enforcement Coordination Council". Retrieved September 22, 2007.
- "Office of Personnel Management Rates of Basic Pay for the Executive Schedule (EX)" (PDF). Retrieved August 1, 2014.