Under Secretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere
||This article needs to be updated. (February 2017)|
Under Secretary of Commerce
for Oceans and Atmosphere
The Under Secretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere, or USC(OA), is a high-ranking official in the United States Department of Commerce and the principal advisor to the United States Secretary of Commerce on the environmental and scientific activities of the Department. The Under Secretary is dual hatted as the Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration within the Commerce Department
The Under Secretary is appointed by the President of the United States with the consent of the United States Senate to serve at the pleasure of the President. The Under Secretary was Dr. Kathryn Sullivan, who assumed the role on March 6, 2014 and ended on January 20. 2017. The Office is Vacant new untile The President can find someone.
As the Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the Under Secretary oversees the day-to-day functions of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, as well as laying out its strategic and operational future. Components of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration that the Administrator oversees include the National Environmental Satellite, Data and Information Service, National Marine Fisheries Service, National Ocean Service, National Weather Service, Oceanic and Atmospheric Research, Marine and Aviation Operations, and the NOAA Corps.
With the rank of Under Secretary, the USC(OA) is a Level III position within the Executive Schedule Since January 2010, the annual rate of pay for Level III is $165,300. The Under Secretary ranks fifth in the line of succession for the office of Secretary of Commerce.
The position of Under Secretary for Oceans and Atmosphere was created by the Reorganization Plan No. 4 of 1970.
Officials reporting to the USC(OA)/Administrator include:
- Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Conservation and Management/Deputy Administrator
- Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Environmental Observation and Prediction/Deputy Administration
- NOAA Chief Scientist
- Principal Deputy Under Secretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere
- Deputy Under Secretary of Commerce for Operations
- Assistant Administrator, National Marine Fisheries Service
- Assistant Administrator, National Ocean Service
- Assistant Administrator, National Environmental Satellite, Data and Information Service
- Assistant Administrator, Oceanic and Atmospheric Research
- Assistant Administrator, National Weather Service
- Assistant Administrator, Program Planning and Integration
- Robert M. White (meteorologist) - December 1971 - July 1977
- Richard A. Frank - July 1977 - January 1981
- John V. Byrne - July 1981 - October 1984
- Anthony (Tony) J. Calio - October 1985 - September 1987
- William (Bill) Eugene Evans - April 1987 - July 1989
- John A. Knauss - August 1989 - March 1993
- D. James Baker - May 1993 - January 2001
- Vice Admiral Conrad C. Lautenbacher, USN - December 19, 2001 - October 31, 2008.
- William J. Brennan (Acting)- November 1, 2008 - March 19, 2009
- Dr. Jane Lubchenco - March 20, 2009 – February 2013
- Dr. Kathryn D. Sullivan - March 2014 – Present (Acting Administrator from February 28, 2013 through March 6, 2014)
- "NOAA Home Page - Vice Admiral Conrad C. Lautenbacher, Jr., U.S. Navy (Ret.) Undersecretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere and NOAA Administrator". Retrieved September 24, 2007.
- "US CODE: Title 15,1503b. Under Secretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere; duties; appointment; compensation". Retrieved September 24, 2007.
- "Salary Table 2006-EX". Retrieved September 22, 2007.
- "Executive Order on Succession at the Department of Commerce". Retrieved September 24, 2007.