Under Wraps (film)
|Written by||Don Rhymer|
|Directed by||Greg Beeman|
|Theme music composer||David Michael Frank|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Cinematography||Mark W. Gray|
|Running time||95 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Mummy Productions|
|Distributor||Buena Vista Television|
|Original network||Disney Channel|
|Original release||October 25, 1997|
Under Wraps is a 1997 television film directed by Greg Beeman and starring Bill Fagerbakke, Adam Wylie, Mario Yedidia, and Clara Bryant. It is considered to be the first Disney Channel Original Movie (DCOM) by the Disney Channel. It was included by the network in its 100 Original Movies celebration from May–June 2016.
This article needs an improved plot summary. (November 2015)
Three 12-year-old kids discover a mummy in the basement of a "dead" man's house. It comes alive due to the conjunction of the moonlight during that time of the month. They are scared of him at first, but with time discover he is friendly, if clumsy and confused. The kids name the mummy Harold, and decide he will temporarily take up residence in one kid's bedroom. After paying a visit to their Halloween-obsessed friend, Bruce, they discover that if the mummy is not put back in his sarcophagus before midnight on Halloween, the mummy will cease to exist.
However, the sarcophagus is in the hands of the "dead" man, known as Mr. Kubat, who feigned his death to avoid paying his taxes. Upon finding out that the mummy has "escaped" from the coffin, he orders his henchmen to look for the mummy and bring it back in time, as he is selling it to an interested buyer. On top of that, there are a few other obstacles that follow by. For one thing, Harold's unusual appearance may attract unwanted attention as Halloween night draws closer. Meanwhile, they find out that Harold used to be in love with another mummy who comes alive at the end.
- Mario Yedidia as Marshall
- Adam Wylie as Gilbert Anderson
- Clara Bryant as Amy
- Ken Campbell as Bruce
- Ed Lauter as Mr. Kubat - the main antagonist of the film.
- Bill Fagerbakke as Harold the Mummy, Ted
- Corinne Bohrer as Marshall's Mom
- Tom Virtue as Movie Dad
- Laura Leary as Movie Mom
- Penny Peyser as Amy's Mom
- Telly Blackwood as Window Shopper
- Trenton Gaucher as Movie Ben
- Brooke Garrett as Movie Molly
- Joshua Dennis as Leonard
- Ryan Schofield as Todd
- Nakia Burrise as Paige
- Velina Brown as Mother in Park
- Robert Bailey Jr. as Boy in Park
- Wilma Bonet as Desk Nurse
- Atim Udoffia as E.R. Nurse
- Greg Watanabe as Doctor
- Linda Gehringer as Connie
- Kenneth Fisher as Principal Phil Hammer
- Anni Long as Jane
- Louis Landman as Kubat's Goon
- Sean McFarland as Goon at Window
- Lance Brady as Art Dealer
- Rueben Grundy as Cop
- Christina Patterson as Female Mummy
- Joel McDonell as Doctor (uncredited)
- Rusty Nelson as Doctor (uncredited)
The film was unavailable on home video until July 5, 2012, when Platinum Disc released it on DVD. It is currently available on iTunes and Amazon Video.
- Patrick Hipes (April 20, 2016). "Disney Channel Original Movie 'The Swap' Set As Network Plans 100-Pic Celebration". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2016-06-27.
The news comes as Disney Channel today unveiled plans for the 100th DCOM Celebration, a summer programming marathon centered on the airing of the network’s 100th original move since 1997 — the first movie was Under Wraps, and the 100th will be a reimagining of the 1987 film Adventures In Babysitting which doesn’t have an airdate yet.
- Marc Snetiker (June 22, 2016). "Disney Channel Original Movies: 12 little-known stories". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
Disney Channel considers 1997’s Under Wraps as its first official DCOM...
- Casey Rackham (May 24, 2016). "The Complete Disney Channel Original Movie Schedule Is Here And It's Amazing". BuzzFeed. Retrieved 2017-03-15.