Under a Blood Red Sky
|Under a Blood Red Sky|
|Live album by U2|
|Released||7 November 1983|
|Recorded||6 May 1983 – 20 August 1983|
|Studio||Effanel Music Mobile[nb 1]|
|Singles from Under a Blood Red Sky|
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
|The Village Voice||A−|
Under a Blood Red Sky is a live album by Irish rock band U2, produced by Jimmy Iovine and released in 1983. Along with its companion concert film, U2 Live at Red Rocks: Under a Blood Red Sky, the release helped establish U2's reputation globally as a live act.
An accompanying concert video entitled U2 Live at Red Rocks: Under a Blood Red Sky was released the following year. The film was recorded entirely at the outdoor Red Rocks Amphitheatre on 5 June 1983, while two songs from that show are included on the album.
The album was re-released on 29 September 2008 as a remastered CD with a DVD of the Red Rocks concert.
All tracks written by U2, with lyrics by Bono.
|1.||"Gloria"||Red Rocks Amphitheatre on 5 June 1983||4:32|
|2.||"11 O'Clock Tick Tock"||Boston, Massachusetts on 6 May 1983||4:34|
|3.||"I Will Follow"||Sankt Goarshausen, Germany on 20 August 1983||3:36|
|4.||"Party Girl"||Red Rocks Amphitheatre on 5 June 1983||2:52|
|1.||"Sunday Bloody Sunday"||Sankt Goarshausen, Germany on 20 August 1983||4:55|
|2.||"The Electric Co."||Sankt Goarshausen, Germany on 20 August 1983||5:18|
|3.||"New Year's Day"||Sankt Goarshausen, Germany on 20 August 1983||4:29|
|4.||"40"||Sankt Goarshausen, Germany on 20 August 1983||3:36|
During the performance of "The Electric Co.", Bono included a 27-second snippet of Stephen Sondheim's "Send in the Clowns". When Under a Blood Red Sky was released, U2 failed to get permission and pay the appropriate licensing and royalty fees to include that piece of Sondheim's tune on the album. When Sondheim objected, U2 agreed to pay a $50,000 (US) penalty for the unauthorized use and to press all future releases with a new version that did not include the snippet.
Essentially, there are now two versions of the vinyl album: the original with the full "The Electric Co." running 5:18 and the edited version which runs 4:51. However, the various CDs pressed around the world all vary in the versions of the song that are included.
- The trifold digipack CD pressed in the U.S. correctly lists "The Electric Co." at 4:51 and contains the edited version of the song.
- Later U.S. CD pressings in the standard jewel box format incorrectly list "The Electric Co." at 5:18, but have the edited version of the song.
- Some, and perhaps all, European pressings of the CD correctly list "The Electric Co." at 5:18 and have the unedited version of the song (the same is likely true of other worldwide CD pressings).
- An Australian pressing of the CD lists the track at 4:57, but the song actually runs the full 5:18.
- The remastered editions all contain the edited version of the song.
- Bono – lead vocals, guitar
- The Edge – guitar, keyboards, backing vocals, bass guitar on "40"
- Adam Clayton – bass guitar, guitar on "40"
- Larry Mullen, Jr. – drums
Charts and certifications
|United Kingdom||2||3× Platinum||900,000+|
|United States||28||3× Platinum||3,000,000+|
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Under a Blood Red Sky – U2". AllMusic. Retrieved 12 August 2011.
- Kot, Greg (6 September 1992). "You, Too, Can Hear The Best Of U2". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 3 December 2015.
- Wyman, Bill (29 November 1991). "U2's Discography". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 24 September 2015.
- Plagenhoef, Scott (29 September 2008). "U2: Under a Blood Red Sky". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 12 August 2011.
- Connelly, Christopher (19 January 1984). "U2: Under A Blood Red Sky". Rolling Stone (413). Archived from the original on 1 April 2008. Retrieved 12 August 2011.
- Brackett, Nathan; Hoard, Christian, eds. (2004). The New Rolling Stone Album Guide. Simon & Schuster. pp. 833–34. ISBN 0-7432-0169-8.
- Christgau, Robert (21 February 1984). "Christgau's Consumer Guide". The Village Voice. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
- "LIVE AT RED ROCKS AND UNDER A BLOOD RED SKY". U2.com. Live Nation. 2008-08-11. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- "CRIA Certification Results: U2". Canadian Recording Industry Association. 1988-05-17. Archived from the original on 15 October 2007. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (U2; 'Under%a%Blood%Red%Sky')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved 2010-08-12.
- "under a blood red sky | full Official Chart History | Official Charts Company". Retrieved 2017-06-25.
- "Top 200 Albums". Billboard. Retrieved 2017-06-25.
- "Gold & Platinum - RIAA". RIAA. Retrieved 2017-06-25.
- Tracks 1.1, 1.2 and 1.4.