Under the Driftwood Tree
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for music. (May 2011)|
|Under the Driftwood Tree|
|Also known as||UDWT|
|Members||Chris Stoodley, Robbie Price, Kathryn Shanahan, Alex Perry, Samuel Lloyd Griffiths|
Under the Driftwood Tree (also known as UDWT) are a Cardiff based Welsh band that formed in 2009. Their music is described as 'surf style folk' and is based on vocal harmonies and unusual instruments, including ukulele, didgeridoos, djembe, cajon and accordion as well as acoustic guitars and bass.
The band originally started as an acoustic guitar duo featuring Chris Stoodley and Dylan Thomas - of Pwllheli, with the band-name having been thought-up by Chris, and being an adaption of The Milk Wood by his name sake. Chris and Dylan recorded their first song together in December 2008 entitled 'Gone For A Week'. Chris and Dylan met whilst doing Open Mic at the Gate in Cardiff during the Autumn of 2008. In February 2009 Dylan left the group to pursue other interests.
The members of Under the Driftwood Tree met through shared interests in music and surfing. Alex Perry on lead guitar and Robbie Price on vocals and rhythm guitar, from Pembroke, joined Cardiff based Chris Stoodley on vocals and ukulele and Kathryn Shanahan from Tipperary in Ireland on vocals and djembe drum as a four piece surf style folk band in February 2009. They began playing regularly at popular live music venues in Cardiff and were the Welsh winners of the Surface Unsigned Festival in 2009, shortlisted from 30,000 applicants and performed at IndigO2 in the The O2 in London. In 2010 they were joined by Samuel Lloyd Griffiths on Bass and performed at The Eden Sessions with Jack Johnson in Cornwall on 26 June 2010.
- Current members
- Chris Stoodley - Vocals, Ukulele, Guitar, Accordion, Didgeridoo, Djembe
- Robbie Price - Vocals, Guitar, Accordion
- Kathryn Shanahan - Vocals, Percussion, Accordion
- Alex Perry - Lead Guitar
- Samuel Lloyd Griffiths - Bass
- Former members
- Dylan Thomas - Bass, Vocals, Guitar
Television and radio
In May 2010 Under the Driftwood Tree played a live session on the BBC Radio Wales Evening Show. This has since led to them being invited to play the UK Number 1 live each Monday on Radio Cardiff, as well as performing on RTÉ Radio 1.
The debut album of Under the Driftwood Tree is currently being produced.
- "Under the Driftwood Tree". Miniature Music Press. Retrieved 15 January 2011.
- "Green Man Festival". Retrieved 28 December 2010.
- "Under the Driftwood Tree". Retrieved 28 December 2010.
- "The Eden Sessions '10". Retrieved 28 December 2010.
- "Under the Driftwood Tree in session". BBC Radio. 4 May 2010. Retrieved 28 December 2010.
- "An Evening of Original Songs from 'Under the Driftwood Tree'". Retrieved 28 December 2010.
- "Cardiff Band Under the Driftwood Tree invited to Radio One". Wales Online. 2010-12-14. Retrieved 28 December 2010.
- Photo gallery of UTDT on BBC 'Introducing Artists' web site
- Under The Driftwood Tree perform If Only If live at Maida Vale for BBC (video)