Under the Graveyard
|"Under the Graveyard"|
|Single by Ozzy Osbourne|
|from the album Ordinary Man|
|Released||8 November 2019|
|Ozzy Osbourne singles chronology|
"Under the Graveyard" is a song by English heavy metal musician Ozzy Osbourne. Written and produced with Andrew Watt, it was released as the vocalist's first single in nine years on 8 November 2019. The song, which is due to be released on Osbourne's twelfth studio album Ordinary Man in 2020, features Watt on guitar, Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagan and Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith.
Osbourne recorded "Under the Graveyard" after working with rapper Post Malone and guitarist/producer Andrew Watt on the single "Take What You Want". The song was written by Osbourne and Watt with songwriter Ali Tamposi and drummer Chad Smith, who also performs on the track. Speaking about the recording, the vocalist commented that "Duff and Chad came in and we would go in and jam during the day and I would go work out the songs in the evenings. I previously had said to Sharon [Osbourne, Ozzy's wife and manager] I should be doing an album, but in the back of my mind I was going, 'I haven't got the fucking strength.' But Andrew pulled it out of me. I really hope people listen to it and enjoy it, because I put my heart and soul into this album."
Writing for the website Loudwire, Joe DiVita described "Under the Graveyard" as "a non-traditional song for Ozzy", claiming that "the newfound influence presents itself in the genre-hopping arrangement". DiVita went on to add that "Fuzz-drenched lead guitars, romping bass lines and alt-rock undertones make this one hard to define. The frontman's performance is strong and reflective, admitting past mistakes while exposing vulnerability and inner conflict."
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||77|
|US Mainstream Rock (Billboard)||18|
- Cerio, Michael (8 November 2019). "World Premiere: Ozzy Osbourne Rises Again on 'Under the Graveyard'". Radio.com. Retrieved 8 November 2019.
- Trendell, Andrew (8 November 2019). "Ozzy Osbourne faces up to mortality on new single 'Under The Graveyard' – listen". NME. Retrieved 8 November 2019.
- DiVita, Joe (8 November 2019). "Ozzy Osbourne Releases First New Song in Nine Years". Loudwire. Retrieved 8 November 2019.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 16 November 2019.
- "Ozzy Osbourne Chart History (Mainstream Rock)". Billboard. Retrieved 12 November 2019.