Underwood International College
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
언더우드 국제대학 (hangeul)언더우드國際大學 (hanja)
|Motto||진리가 너희를 자유케 하리라 (요한복음 8:32) (Korean)|
Motto in English
|The truth will set you free (John 8:32)|
|Budget||US$2.8 billion (university-wide, as of 2011)|
|Location||Seoul and Incheon, South Korea|
250 acres (Sinchon Campus)152 acres (Int'l Campus)
Underwood International College, Yonsei University was founded in 2006 as a constituent college of Yonsei University. Based in Seoul and Incheon, South Korea, it is the first and only liberal arts college in the country that has all classes conducted in English.
Underwood International College, Yonsei University accepted its inaugural class in March 2006. Its first dean was Professor Jongryn Mo. Earlier, in October 2004, the President of Yonsei University had appointed Mo as Chairman of the "University Committee for New International College", and Mo contributed significantly to the early development of the institution.
In 2012, Underwood International College, Yonsei University housed the new Asian Studies and Techno-Art programmes. It has since expanded to include the Integrated Social Sciences Division, to make up the comprehensive interdisciplinary Humanities and Social Sciences Field.
Underwood International College, Yonsei University is the first and only liberal arts college in the Republic of Korea, and the only college at Yonsei University to conduct all classes in English. It has small classes taught by some 102 Korean and international faculty, of whom around 40 hold an undergraduate and/or graduate degree from an Ivy League and/or Oxbridge university. For the class of 2013, Underwood International College, Yonsei University received 1,713 applications for 225 student places across three academic divisions — an acceptance rate of 13.13%.
- Underwood Division
- Comparative Literature and Culture
- International Studies
- Life Science and Biotechnology
- Political Science and International Relations
- Asian Studies Division
- Techno Art Division
- Creative Technology Management
- Culture and Design Management
- Information and Interaction Design
- Integrated Social Sciences Division
- Justice and Civil Leadership
- Quantitative Risk Management
- Science, Technology and Policy
- Sustainable Development and Cooperation
- Integrated Science and Engineering Division
- Energy & Environmental Science and Engineering
- Nano Science and Engineering
- Korean Studies
- Certificate in Creative Writing
Academic Partnerships and Exchange Programmes
Bilateral Exchange Programmes
UIC maintains collegial ties with Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire. As of 2013, it has signed exchange partnerships with institutions such as Barnard College (Columbia University), Waseda University, University of California, Berkeley, University of Geneva and University College Utrecht.
Trilateral Exchange Programmes
Along with University of Hong Kong and Keio University in Japan, Underwood International College, Yonsei University was a co-founder of the Three-Campus Comparative East Asian Programme. The programme, which commenced in 2008, allows undergraduate students to take a year of study across the three campuses.
Career Development Center
Underwood International College, Yonsei University's Career Development Center provides students with services and resources to guide and prepare themselves for successful careers. It regularly posts a list of job and internship opportunities, and sponsors regular workshops for students in every academic semester.
Global Career Tours
Since 2008, Underwood International College, Yonsei University has organised subsidised overseas trips to provide students with opportunities to visit international organisations, companies, and institutions to gain exposure to the working environment. Past trips have involved travel to major financial centers such as Tokyo, Hong Kong, London, New York, and Singapore.
According to Dr. Stephanie K. Kim's article "Western faculty ‘flight risk’ at a Korean university and the complexities of internationalisation in Asian higher education" faculty retention and administrative transparency are systemic complications in Underwood International College. Through the interviewing of faculty of Underwood International College, her article observes that Western faculty members in Underwood International College face challenges that could lead to "mass departure" of the Western faculty.
It is written in the article that many UIC faculty members leave within few years and new members are hired to replace them, "resulting in a constantly rotating cycle of newly hired faculty members." However, Stephanie Kim's article does not cite any concrete faculty attrition figure to support her claims. UIC faculty member John Frank attempted to refute Stephanie Kim's assertions by pointing out relevant statistics.  Stephanie Kim followed up with a comment that addresses the points of contention he raises, however. 
In addition, previous research, conducted by researchers from Stanford University observed that diversity and innovation continue to remain as challenges for Korean universities and that the foreign academics are often perceived as "temporary skilled labor" and "second-tier" scholars.
- "UIC Brochure 2013: The Liberal Arts for International Minds" (PDF).. Underwood International College
- "Yonsei University Statistics". Yonsei University
- "Yonsei University Campuses: Sinchon Campus".. Yonsei University
- "Yonsei University Campuses: International Campus".. Yonsei University
- "Korea Univ. vs. Yonsei, Age-Old Rivalry in New Era". Korea Times (July 2013)
- "Yonsei University Symbol: Yonsei Mascot". Yonsei University
- "Yonsei to compete with Ivy League".. Korea Times (May 2012)
- "Yonsei's new college exclusively in English". Korea Joongang Daily
- Mo, Jongryn. Korea's Quest for Global Education: The Underwood International College (UIC) Model (PDF). Seoul, Korea: Global Education Forum.
- "Faculty Profiles". Yonsei University
- "2013 Freshmen Admission Statistics". Yonsei University
- "UIC signs exchange agreement with Dartmouth College, member of the Ivy League".. Yonsei University
- "Affordable Study at Barnard College".. Korea Herald
- "Study Abroad: UIC-Exclusive Programs". Yonsei University
- "3 Campus Comparative East Asian Studies Programme".
- "UNDERWOOD INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE | About CDC". uic.yonsei.ac.kr. Retrieved 2016-07-01.
- "Job_Opportunities". uic.yonsei.ac.kr. Retrieved 2016-07-01.
- "CDC Lecture Series". uic.yonsei.ac.kr. Retrieved 2016-07-01.
- "UNDERWOOD INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE | Global Career Tour". uic.yonsei.ac.kr. Retrieved 2016-07-01.
- "Western faculty 'flight risk' at a Korean university and the complexities of internationalisation in Asian higher education". www.academia.edu. Retrieved 2016-06-11.
- Shin, Gi-Wook. "South Korean universities remain challenging places for foreign students and faculty". Retrieved 2016-07-01.