Underwood International College
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (August 2013)|
언더우드 국제대학 (hangeul)언더우드國際大學 (hanja)
|Motto||진리가 너희를 자유케 하리라 (요한복음 8:32) (Korean)|
Motto in English
|The truth will set you free (John 8:32)|
|Budget||US$2.8 billion (university-wide, as of 2011)|
|Dean||Hyung Ji Park|
|Location||Seoul and Incheon, South Korea|
250 acres (Sinchon Campus)152 acres (Int'l Campus)
Underwood International College (acronym: UIC) was founded in 2006 as a constituent college of Yonsei University, based in Seoul and Incheon, South Korea. It is the first and only liberal arts college in the country, and all classes are conducted in English.
UIC accepted its inaugural class in March of 2006. Its first dean was Professor Jongryn Mo. Earlier, in October of 2004, the President of Yonsei University had appointed Mo as chairman of the University Committee for New International College, and Mo contributed significantly to the early development of UIC.
- Students, teachers
UIC is the first and only liberal arts college in South Korea, and the only program at Yonsei University to conduct all classes in English. It has small classes taught by some 102 Korean and international faculty, of whom around 40 hold an undergraduate and/or graduate degree from an Ivy League and/or Oxbridge university. For the class of 2013, UIC received 1,713 applications for 225 student places across three academic divisions - an acceptance rate of 13.13%.
- Partnerships with other schools
UIC maintains collegial ties with Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire. As of 2013, UIC has signed exchange partnerships with institutions such as Barnard College (Columbia University), Waseda University, University of California, Berkeley, University of Geneva and University College Utrecht. Along with University of Hong Kong and Keio University in Japan, UIC was a co-founder of the Three-Campus Comparative East Asian Programme started in 2008, where undergraduate students take a year of study across the three campuses.
- Underwood Division
- Comparative Literature and Culture
- International Studies
- Life Science and Biotechnology
- Political Science and International Relations
- Asian Studies Division
- Techno Art Division
- Creative Technology Management
- Culture and Design Management
- Information and Interaction Design
- Integrated Social Science Division
- Justice and Civil Leadership
- Quantitative Risk Management
- Science, Technology and Policy
- Sustainable Development and Cooperation
- Integrated Science and Engineering Division
- Energy & Environmental Science and Engineering
- Nano Science and Engineering
- "UIC Brochure 2013: The Liberal Arts for International Minds" (PDF).. Underwood International College
- "Yonsei University Statistics". Yonsei University
- "Yonsei University Campuses: Sinchon Campus".. Yonsei University
- "Yonsei University Campuses: International Campus".. Yonsei University
- "Korea Univ. vs. Yonsei, Age-Old Rivalry in New Era". Korea Times (July 2013)
- "Yonsei University Symbol: Yonsei Mascot". Yonsei University
- "Yonsei to compete with Ivy League".. Korea Times (May 2012)
- "Yonsei’s new college exclusively in English". Korea Joongang Daily
- Mo, Jongryn. Korea's Quest for Global Education: The Underwood International College (UIC) Model (PDF). Seoul, Korea: Global Education Forum.
- "Faculty Profiles". Yonsei University
- "2013 Freshmen Admission Statistics". Yonsei University
- "UIC signs exchange agreement with Dartmouth College, member of the Ivy League".. Yonsei University
- "Affordable Study at Barnard College".. Korea Herald
- "Study Abroad: UIC-Exclusive Programs". Yonsei University
- "3 Campus Comparative East Asian Studies Programme".