|Single by Carrie Underwood|
|from the album Play On|
|Released||May 24, 2010|
|Length||2:57 (album version)|
|Carrie Underwood singles chronology|
"Undo It" is a song written by Carrie Underwood, Kara DioGuardi, Marti Frederiksen, and Luke Laird. It was made available to digital retailers on October 27, 2009, and was released as an official single on May 24, 2010. The song is the third single from Underwood's third studio album, Play On.
Underwood performed the song at the 2010 American Idol finale, as well as at the 2010 CMT Music Awards. "Undo It" has sold 1.6 million copies in the United States, making it the 7th biggest song of her career. It is also her first song to chart outside the US and Canada, peaking at Number 85 in the Australian Music Chart.
"Undo It" was ranked number 29 on Billboard's year-end charts for Top Country Songs.
17 second sample from Carrie Underwood's "Undo It".
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Underwood told The Boot that the idea for the "Undo It" hook came accidentally. "The guys had their guitars and they were playing something kind of bluesy, and Kara's got such a great R&B sense about her," she said. "And I started, 'Na, na, na-ing' to whatever they were playing. And they were like, 'What if that was the hook?' I said, 'Aw, I don't know?' And before you knew it, we had 'Uh, uh, uh undo it.' I mean, who would have thought? How do you write that down on paper? It was something that it didn't take that long to write and it's so much fun to sing on stage, and people get into it."
The song has received generally mixed reviews from music critics. Juli Thanki of Engine 145 gave the song a thumbs-down, calling it "a third-rate tune from Kelly Clarkson’s reject pile" and saying that it had "deeply stupid lyrics." Roughstock critic Matt Bjorke rated the song two-and-a-half stars out of five, saying that it had "catchy repeatable lyrics" but concluded his review by saying "she can do so much better." In his review for Allmusic, Stephen Thomas Erlewine called the song "strained sassiness." Billboard critic Deborah Evans Price was more positive in her review, comparing it to the "vengeful Carrie persona" of "Before He Cheats" and saying that it had "crisp, compelling" production. Kevin John Coyne of Country Universe gave the song an A- calling Undo It a short, sweet, and undeniably catchy song which features both “We Will Rock You” drum riffs and twangy fiddle, as if those two things together are as natural as peanut butter and chocolate.
CMT premiered the video for "Undo It" on May 7, 2010. The video features shots of Underwood performing the song in concert along with shots of the background video played during the performance of the song in the Play On Tour. The video was directed by Chris Hicky.
"Undo It" debuted at number 43 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week of May 1, 2010. The song hit number one for the week of August 7, 2010, giving Underwood her tenth number one on this chart. The song debuted at number 86 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 before the release of her album Play On, and re-entered the chart at number 95 following its release as an official single. After performing the song on the finale of American Idol, the song rose to a new peak of number 25, becoming the second most successful single from Play On. It then rose to number 23 after performing it at the 2010 CMT Music Awards. The song became her eleventh Top 40 Hot 100 hit. The song re-entered once again at number 67 and stayed there for five more weeks before it dropped off the chart. On the week of June 27, 2011, "Undo It" entered the Australian Singles Chart at number 85, becoming her first entrance to the chart in her career.
As of October 2015, "Undo It" has sold 1,600,000 copies in the United States.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||43|
|US Billboard Hot 100||23|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Adult Top 40 (Billboard)||25|
|US Billboard Hot 100||88|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||29|
"Rain Is a Good Thing"
by Luke Bryan
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
August 7, 2010
by Jerrod Niemann
|United States||October 27, 2009||Music download||Arista Nashville|
|United States||May 24, 2010||Airplay||Arista Nashville|
|United Kingdom||May 25, 2010|
|Australia||June 10, 2011||Music download, airplay|
Awards and nominations
2010 Teen Choice Awards
|2010||"Undo It"||Choice Country Song||Nominated|
2010 CMA Triple-Play Awards
|2010||"Undo It"||Triple-Play Songwriter (along with "Cowboy Casanova" and "Temporary Home")||Won|
2011 CMT Music Awards
|2011||"Undo It"||Video of the Year||Nominated|
|2011||"Undo It"||Female Video of the Year||Nominated|
2011 BMI Awards
|2011||"Undo It"||Songwriter of the Year||Won|
Sales and certification
As a promotional single (before the release of Play On):
United States: 28,000
As a confirmed single (after the release of Play On):
United States: 1,600,000
The song has officially been certified Platinum by the RIAA.
- Trust, Gary (October 11, 2015). "Ask Billboard: Chart Beat's 'Piano Man' Returns!". Billboard. Retrieved October 11, 2015.
- Hughes, Donna (14 June 2010). "Carrie Underwood, 'Undo It' - Story Behind the Lyrics". The Boot. Retrieved 20 June 2010.
- Thanki, Juli (17 March 2010). "Carrie Underwood — "Undo It"". Engine 145. Retrieved 19 April 2010.
- Bjorke, Matt (19 March 2010). "Carrie Underwood — "Undo It"". Roughstock. Retrieved 19 April 2010.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Play On review". Allmusic. Retrieved 19 April 2010.
- Price, Deborah Evans (4 June 2010). ""Undo It" review". Billboard. Retrieved 8 June 2010.
- "ARIA Top 100 Singles – Week Commencing 27th June 2011" ARIA Top 100 Singles. National Library of Australia. Retrieved 29 November 2011.
- "Carrie Underwood – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Carrie Underwood. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- "Carrie Underwood – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Carrie Underwood. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- "Carrie Underwood – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Carrie Underwood. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- "Carrie Underwood – Chart history" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Carrie Underwood.
- "Year End Charts - Year-end Albums - Top Country Albums". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2010-12-09.
- "Best of 2010: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2010. Retrieved December 13, 2010.
- "RIAA - Gold & Platinum: Carrie Underwood singles". RIAA.com. Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved May 22, 2010.