Unforgettable (Nat King Cole song)
|Single by Nat King Cole|
|from the album Unforgettable|
|Problems playing these files? See media help.|
"Unforgettable" is a popular song written by Irving Gordon. The song's original working title was "Uncomparable". The music publishing company asked Gordon to change it to "Unforgettable". The song was published in 1951.
The most popular version of the song was recorded by Nat King Cole in 1951, with an arrangement written by Nelson Riddle. A non-orchestrated version of the song recorded in 1952 is featured as a bonus track on the CD reissue of 1955's completely instrumental (save the bonus material) Penthouse Serenade. Cole recorded the tune anew in 1961, in a stereo version of the Riddle arrangement, for the album The Nat King Cole Story.
In 1991, after Elvis Presley's musical director Joe Guercio had the idea, Cole's original 1951 recording of the song was edited and remixed to create a duet with his daughter, Natalie, which won three awards at the Grammy Awards of 1992: Song of the Year, Record of the Year and Best Traditional Pop Vocal Performance.
Notable cover versions
A partial list includes:
- Semprini with Rhythm Acc. recorded it in London on March 26, 1952 as the third melody of the medley "Dancing to the piano (No. 14) - Part 1. Hit Medley of Foxtrots" along with "Slow Coach" and "Cry". It was released by EMI on the His Master's Voice label as catalog number B 10263.
- Yvette Giraud (1953, in French under the title "Inoubliable")
- Pepper Adams Quintet (1957)
- Teddi King - All the King's Songs (1959)
- Dinah Washington (1959) (was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2001)
- Earl Grant (1960)
- Peggy Lee (1963)
- Aretha Franklin for her album Unforgettable: A Tribute to Dinah Washington (1964).
- Sammy Davis, Jr. (1965)
- Marvin Gaye (1965)
- Oscar Peterson (1965)
- Aretha Franklin (1976)
- Esther Phillips (1976)
- Lou Rawls (1977)
- Engelbert Humperdinck (1980)
- Johnny Mathis (1983)
- Marlena Shaw (1986)
- Nat "King" Cole & Natalie Cole (1991) (1992 Grammy Awards) - the performance of the song at the Grammy show was released on the 1994 album Grammy's Greatest Moments Volume I
- Roberta Flack (1991)
- Diane Schuur (1991)
- Vikki Carr (1997)
- Peter Nero (1997)
- Acoustix (1998)
- Kenny Rogers (1998)
- Leo Masliah of the disc Textualmente 1 (2001)
- Captain & Tennille (2001)
- Jackie Chan w/ Ani DiFranco (2002)
- Charlie Sheen (2003)
- Merle Haggard (2004)
- Megan Mullally and Sean Hayes (2006) (Will & Grace finale as Jack McFarland and Karen Walker)
- Bradley Joseph (2006)
- Ricky Vallen (2009)
- Nianell and Dozi - It Takes Two (2009)
- Andrea Bocelli and Lisa Kelly (2010)
- Roberto Carlos - Live at Jerusalem (2011)
- George Benson - Inspiration (A Tribute to Nat King Cole) (2013)
- Sia - Finding Dory Soundtrack (2016)
Sampled by song
- Nelson Riddle & Nat King Cole interviewed on the Pop Chronicles (1969)
- Rock On The Net: 34th Annual Grammy Awards - 1992
- "GRAMMY Hall Of Fame". The GRAMMYs.
- "Grammy's Greatest Moments, Volume 1: Various Artists". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2011-11-21.
- Spencer McCormick. "When Pigs Fly".