Unholy alliance (geopolitical)
An unholy alliance popularly refers to an alliance which is perceived as unnatural, unusual, or simply undesirable, sometimes between seemingly antagonistic parties.
The term came to be used by African nationalists when describing the predominantly white governments of Southern Africa from 1961 to 1980: South Africa, Rhodesia, and the Portuguese Empire. For example, during the Council of Ministers of the Organization of African Unity, meeting in its Fourteenth Ordinary Session in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, from 27 February to 6 March 1970, stated they were "Deeply concerned at the strengthening of the unholy alliance among the racist regimes of Pretoria, Salisbury, Lisbon and their collaboration with other imperialist powers..." In its resolution 3151 G (XXVIII) of 14 December 1973, the UN General Assembly condemned what it termed an unholy alliance between South African apartheid and zionism.
- Alcora Exercise
- Axis of evil
- Holy Alliance
- The enemy of my enemy is my friend
- United Nations General Assembly Resolution 3379
- William Giles Dix, The Unholy Alliance: An American View of the War in the East, NY: Charles B. Norton, 1855.
- Theodore Roosevelt (August 1912). "Progressive covenant with the people". The Library of Congress. Thomas Edison. Retrieved 2010-05-29.
- Geoffrey K. Roberts, The Unholy Alliance: Stalin's Pact with Hitler. Indianapolis: Indiana University Press, 1989. Gerald Freund. Unholy Alliance: Russian-German Relations from the Treaty of Brest- Litovsk to the Treaty of Berlin. New York: Harcourt, Brace and Company, 1957.
- US State Dept
- African National Congress, CEMENTING THE UNHOLY ALLIANCE: STATEMENT IN THE SPECIAL COMMITTEE AGAINST APARTHEID, MAY 18, 1965 at the Wayback Machine (archived 1 December 2008)
- Eliakim M. Sibanda, The Zimbabwe African People's Union, 1961–87, p.128
- Tor Sellström, Sweden and National Liberation in Southern Africa, Nordiska Afrikainstitutet, p.420
- CM/Res. 209 (XIV) "RESOLUTION ON DECOLONIZATION AND APARTHEID" RESOLUTIONS AND DECLARATIONS ..., MARCH 1970. (see document in African Union link below).
- Cited in the text of United Nations General Assembly Resolution 3379 (XXX). Resolution "3151 (XXVIII). Policies of apartheid of the Government of South Africa", 14 December 1973: https://undocs.org/A/RES/3151(XXVIII)