|Union||ACT & Sthn NSW Rugby Union|
1937 University (CUC)|
1937 Northern Suburbs
|Ground(s)||ANU North Oval|
|League(s)||ACTRU Premier Division|
The Uni-Norths Owls is a rugby union club located on the campus of the Australian National University (ANU) in Canberra, Australian Capital Territory. The club was a result of the merger of ANU and University of Canberra rugby clubs in 1998, with Northern Suburbs joining in 2001. The club's colours are navy, gold and green.
The Uni-Norths home playing fields and clubhouse, known as ‘The Barn’, are located on the grounds of the Australian National University and are within a few minutes walk of the Canberra CBD. The clubhouse has a second-floor balcony which overlooks the Rugby and Cricket No. 1 Oval, with a licensed bar facility and a large catered function centre.
The rugby clubs of Northern Suburbs and Canberra University College (CUC, which later integrated with the ANU) were foundation members of the Federal Capital Territory Rugby Union (FCTRU). The FCTRU, which later became the ACTRU and eventually the ACT and Southern NSW Rugby Union, was formed in 1937. The Canberra grade competition began in 1938.
The Northern Suburbs club played in a myrtle green jersey and was known as the Galloping Greens. Norths won the John I Dent Cup for the premiership seven times between 1940 and 1972. Notable players for Norths include Owen Butler, who was selected for the Wallabies in 1969.
The ANU club wore a jersey with blue and white hoops, and started playing in the first grade competition in 1960 after an amalgamation of existing ACTRU grade clubs from Canberra University College (entered first grade in 1938) and Australian Forestry School (entered first grade in 1949). Notable ANU players include Laurie Fisher who captained the first grade team to win the John I Dent Cup in 1992 and later became the coach of the Brumbies.
In 1998 the ANU Rugby Club was amalgamated with the University of Canberra Rugby Club (UC Killer Bees). The UC club had fielded teams in the Monaro Division competition and was founded in 1971 at the Canberra College of Advanced Education (CCAE), which became the University of Canberra in 1990.
Norths ceded from the ACTRU Premier competition in 2001 and formed a coalition with the new University club. Although not a legal merger, the coalition proved successful, with the Norths Junior Owls receiving additional coaching and administrative resources and junior players progressing through to the senior club.
The club won the Queanbeyan Rugby Sevens Tournament in both the men's and women's competitions in 2009.
The Owls won the Laffan Cup, awarded to the winning team of the Australian Universities Rugby Championship in 2011.
The Owls women's side won the ACT premiership and minor premiership double in 2014. The Owls women's sevens team also won the Bowl in the Bowral 7's competition in 2014.
John I Dent Cup
- Australian National University (1959–98)
- Premierships (1): 1992.
- Northern Suburbs (1938–2000)
- Premierships (7): 1972, 1971, 1967, 1963, 1956, 1948,[a] 1940.
- 1948 joint winners Northern Suburbs & Royal Military College Duntroon
The Owls' current coaches are:
- 1sts Coach: Daniel Hooper, Assistant: Sam Rolfe, Manager: Deon Norval
- 2nds Coach: Wayne Giddings
- Colts Coaches: Dave Purser
- 3rds & 4ths Coach: Glen Croker
Players who have gone on to gain international or provincial caps:
- Owen Butler (Norths) – Australia 1969–71.
- Laurie Fisher (ANU) – ACT representative team 1985–92, Brumbies coach 2005–08, 2014.
- Ben Alexander (Uni-North Owls) – Brumbies & Wallabies
(list may be incomplete)
- "Rugby Union – University Club Formed". The Canberra Times. 4 December 1937. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "Club Handbook" (PDF 0.3 MB). Uni-Norths Owls Rugby. 2004. p. 5. Archived (PDF) from the original on 26 May 2005. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "The Barn". Uni-Norths Rugby. 2014. Archived from the original on 14 February 2014. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- Foster, Michael (30 November 1980). "The glories of Norths". The Canberra Times. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "Club Control – Rugby Union By-Laws". The Canberra Times. 23 March 1938. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "John I Dent Cup". Vikings Rugby. 2014. Archived from the original on 27 December 2014. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- Hardy, Karen (3 August 2013). "Rugby passion born of early blood, sweat and tears". The Sydney Morning Herald. Archived from the original on 2 August 2013. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "From the Sideline". The Canberra Times. 8 April 1960. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "Foresty School's new players". The Canberra Times. 15 April 1950. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "Killer Bees get buzz out of sweet success". The Canberra Times. 29 August 1992. Retrieved 27 December 2014.
- "2011 Laffan Cup results". Australian Universities Rugby Union. 19 April 2011. Archived from the original on 20 March 2012. Retrieved 20 March 2012.