Unified Endpoint Management
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (June 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: Review sections (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Unified Endpoint Management is a class of software tools that provide a single management interface for mobile, PC and other devices. It is an evolution of, and replacement for, mobile device management (MDM) and enterprise mobility management (EMM) and client management tools.
It provides capabilities for managing and securing mobile applications, content, collaboration and more. It is a single approach to managing all endpoints like smartphones, tablets, laptops, printers, ruggedized devices, Internet of Things (IoT) and wearables.
With new types of devices being used in the workplace, administration of traditional laptops, desktops and new devices was a challenging task for IT administrators. Traditional CMTs (client management tools) lacked some features for a complete approach to endpoint management. The rise of UEM was also a result of the adoption of newer enterprise friendly platforms like Windows10, and iOS11.
Differences between MDM, EMM and UEM
- MDM controls mobile device functionality and converts it into a single purpose or dedicated device. It has features like device enrollment, remote control, device lockdown, and location tracking
- EMM offers all MDM features, and also provides Mobile Information Management, Bring Your Own Device, Mobile Application Management and Mobile Content Management.
- UEM provides enterprises management of mobile devices as well as endpoints like desktops, printers, IoT devices and wearables from a single management platform.
- "Magic Quadrant for Unified Endpoint Management Tools". www.gartner.com. Retrieved 2018-11-18.
- "What is unified endpoint management (UEM)? - Definition from WhatIs.com".
- "Difference in MDM, EMM and UEM". 2017-07-10.