Unified Payments Interface
|Product type||instant real-time inter-bank payment system|
|Introduced||11 April 2016|
Unified Payments Interface (UPI) is an instant real-time payment system developed by National Payments Corporation of India facilitating inter-bank transactions. The interface is regulated by the Reserve Bank of India and works by instantly transferring funds between two bank accounts on a mobile platform.
Unified Payments Interface is a real time inter bank payment system with send or request money. Any UPI client app may be used and multiple bank account may be linked to single app. Money can be sent or requested with following methods
- Virtual Payment Address (VPA): Send or request money from/to bank account mapped using VPA.
- Mobile number: Send or request money from/to bank account mapped using mobile number.
- Account number&IFSC: Send money to bank account.
- Aadhaar: Send money to bank account mapped using Aadhaar number.
- QR code: Send money by QR code which has enclosed VPA, Account number and IFSC or Mobile number.
Any UPI app can use payment and transfer fund from and to UPI enabled banks.
The website of National Payments Corporation of India lists the banks that facilitate UPI. Banks here are termed as Payment Service Providers (PSP) and issuers. PSP includes those banks which have their own mobile application to facilitate transaction and issuers include banks which don't have their payments interface and rely on third party software for transaction using UPI.