|Developer(s)||Siemens PLM Software|
|Initial release||October 1973|
NX 11.0 / July 29, 2016
|Operating system||Mac OS, Unix-like, Windows XP or later (x86/x64)|
It is used, among other tasks, for:
- Design (parametric and direct solid/surface modelling)
- Engineering analysis (static; dynamic; electro-magnetic; thermal, using the finite element method; and fluid, using the finite volume method).
- Manufacturing finished design by using included machining modules.
1972: United Computing, Inc. releases UNIAPT, one of the world's first end-user CAM products.
1973: The company purchases the Automated Drafting and Machining (ADAM) software code from MCS in 1973. The code became a foundation for a product called UNI-GRAPHICS, later sold commercially as Unigraphics in 1975.
1976 McDonnell Douglas Aircraft buys United Computing.
1983: UniSolids V1.0 is released, marking the industry's first true interactive Solid Modeling software offering.
1991: During a period of financial difficulties McDonnell Douglas Automation Company (McAuto) sells its commercial services organization, including the Unigraphics organization and product, to EDS which at that time is owned by GM. Unigraphics becomes GM's corporate CAD system.
1992: Over 21,000 seats of Unigraphics are being used worldwide.
1996: Unigraphics V11.0 is released with enhancements in Industrial Design and Modeling including Bridge Surface, Curvature Analysis for Curve and Surfaces, Face Blends, Variable Offset Surface, etc. In the area of Assembly Modeling the new capabilities include Component Filters, Faceted Representations, and Clearance Analysis between multiple Components. A fully integrated Spreadsheet linked to Feature-Based Modeling is also included..
2002 First release of the new "Next Generation" version of Unigraphics and I-DEAS, called NX, beginning the transition to bring the functionality and capabilities of both Unigraphics and I-DEAS together into a single consolidated product.
2011 Release of NX8 on October 17-2011
2013 Release of NX9 (x64 only) on October 14-2013
|Name/Version||Version History Value||Release Date|
|Unigraphics II||1.0||August 1983|
|Unigraphics I||D5.0||March 1984|
|Unigraphics II||2.0||March 1985|
|Unigraphics I||D6.0||August 1985|
|Unigraphics II||3.0||November 1985|
|Unigraphics II||4.0||November 1986|
|Unigraphics II||5.0||October 1987|
|Unigraphics II||6.0||December 1988|
|Unigraphics II||7.0||December 1989|
|Unigraphics II||9.0||August 1992|
- Computer-aided design (CAD) (Design)
- Parametric solid modeling (feature-based and direct modeling)
- Freeform surface modelling, class A surfaces.
- Reverse engineering
- Styling and computer-aided industrial design
- Engineering drawing (Drafting)
- Product and manufacturing information (PMI)
- Reporting and analytics, verification and validation
- Knowledge reuse, including knowledge-based engineering
- Sheet metal design
- Assembly modelling and digital mockup
- Routing for electrical wiring and mechanical piping
- Computer-aided engineering (CAE) (Simulation)
- Computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) (Manufacturing) ()
- Numerical control (NC) programming
Supported operating systems and platforms
NX uses Parasolid for its Geometric modeling kernel and D-Cubed as Associative engine for sketcher and assembly constraints as well as using JT (visualization format) for lightweight data and Multi-CAD.
- Solid Edge
- NX Nastran
- PTC Creo Elements/Pro
- Autodesk Inventor
- "Siemens Closes Acquisition of UGS; Introduces Business as UGS PLM Software". Siemens.
- "NX main page". Siemens.
- Zipper, Stuart (1991-11-11). "See GM, IBM in CAD/CAM fight; after Unigraphics deal". Electronic News.
- Bozdoc, Martian. "1992-1993". The History of CAD, CAD chronology. iMB.
- Yares, Evan (2008-05-21). "Synchronous Technology and Design Freedom".
- "Synchronous Technology". Siemens PLM Software.
- "Unigraphics in the 70's". PLM World. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "Unigraphics in the 80's 1980-1985". PLM World. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "Unigraphics in the 80's 1986-1989". PLM World. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "Unigraphics in the 90's". PLM World. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- Unigraphics Solutions (June 22, 1998). "Unigraphics Solutions Announces Version 14 of Unigraphics CAD/CAM/CAE Software". PR Newswire. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "Unigraphics Today". PLM World. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software. "UGS Launches NX 5 CAD/CAM/CAE Software; New Technologies Provide Users with "Greater Powers" to Develop Innovative Products Faster and More Cost-Efficiently: Siemens PLM Software".
- Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software. "Siemens PLM Software Launches NX 6 Software: Siemens PLM Software".
- Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software. "Siemens PLM Software Redefines CAD/CAM/CAE Productivity and Product Development Decision Support with NX 7 Software: Siemens PLM Software".
- Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software. "Siemens PLM Software's NX 8 Includes Comprehensive Enhancements Throughout with Focus on CAE: Siemens PLM Software".
- Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software. "Siemens NX 9 Delivers up to 5X Product Development Productivity across Industries: Siemens PLM Software".
- Software, Siemens Product Lifecycle Management. "Siemens' NX Delivers Next Breakthrough in Product Design with Convergent Modeling: Siemens PLM Software". www.plm.automation.siemens.com. Retrieved 2017-03-03.
- "NX modeling page". Siemens PLM Software.
- England, Derek (2009). "Rapid Design Through Synchronous Modeling". Collaboration & Interoperability. Siemens PLM Software.
- Parrella, Tod. "Reverse Engineering" (PDF). PLM World 2007. UGS Corp.
- Wong, Kenneth. "HD3D". Desktop Engineering.
- Anderson, Taylor (May 3, 2009). "Automating the Design Validation Process with NX Check-Mate". Desktop Engineering.
- Carrington, Jim. "NX 6 Assembly Modeling Update" (PDF). PLMWorld 2008.
- Clarke, Charles. "Developments in the CAM software market" (PDF). tct. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-16.
- Carrington, Jim. "Working with Multi-CAD Data in NX using JT" (PDF). PLMWorld 2008. Siemens PLM Software.
- Media related to NX (Unigraphics) screenshots at Wikimedia Commons
- Category:Screenshots of NX (Unigraphics)