Union Bank of Nigeria
|Headquarters||36 Marina, Lagos Island, Lagos, Lagos State, Nigeria|
|Senator. Udo Udoma
Group Managing Director
|Total assets||US$6.784 billion (NGN:1.049 trillion) (2012)|
Union Bank is a large commercial bank, serving individuals, small and medium-sized companies, as well as large corporations and organizations. In July 2009, it was rated the 556th largest bank in the world and the 14th largest bank in Africa. As of June 2012, the bank's asset base was estimated at US$6.784 billion (NGN:1.049 trillion). The shareholders' equity at that time was estimated at US$1.22 billion (NGN:188.4 billion).
The bank was founded in 1917 as Colonial Bank. In 1925, Barclays Bank acquired Colonial Bank, changing the bank's name to Barclays Bank (Dominion, Colonial and Overseas) or Barclays Bank (DCO). In 1969, Barclays Bank DCO was incorporated in Nigeria, as Barclays Bank of Nigeria Limited, to comply with new banking laws enacted in 1968.
In 1971, the shares of the bank stock were listed on the Nigerian Stock Exchange. In the same year, 8.33% of the bank’s shares were offered to Nigerians. The following year, the Federal Government of Nigeria acquired 51.67% ownership of the bank, leaving Barclays Bank Plc. of London with 40% ownership. In 1979, that 40% was sold to Nigerian individuals and businesses to comply with then recently enacted banking and investment laws. The bank changed its name to Union Bank of Nigeria Plc,to reflect its new ownership structure.
In 1993, the Federal Government of Nigeria completely divested its ownership in the bank. Subsequently, Union Bank of Nigeria Plc. acquired the formeeUniversal Trust Bank Plc and Broad Bank Limited. It also absorbed its former subsidiary Union Merchant Bank Limited.
The companies that comprise the Union Bank of Nigeria Plc include :
- Union Bank United Kingdom Plc.
- Union Homes Savings and Loans Plc.
- Union Trustees Limited
- Union Assurance Company Limited
- Banque Internationale du Benin, Cotonou
- UTL Communications Services Limited
- UBN Property Company Limited
- Union Capital Markets Limited
- Union Registrars Limited
- Union Express Limited (Courier company)
- Affiliated companies
- Consolidated Discounts Limited
- HFC Bank Ghana Limited
- Unique Venture Capital Management Company Limited
The shares of Union Bank of Nigeria are listed on the Nigerian Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol ''UBN''. As at June 2013, the owners of the shares of Union Bank of Nigeria include the following corporate entities and individuals:
|Union Bank of Nigeria Stock Ownership|
- Union Global Partners Limited is a consortium of financial institutions that include the following:
- ACA Holdings Limited & ACA Managed Fund
- Netherlands Development Finance Company
- Standard Chartered Private Equity
- Auctor Capital
- Carlye Capital of Washington DC
- High Vistar
- The Keffi Group VIII LLC ( Keffi Group, JC Flowers, BGI)
- African Development Corporation AG and Atlas Mara Co-Nvest Limited
- Discovery Group of Connecticut, United States of America.
- Asset Management Company of Nigeria is an arm of the Federal Government of Nigeria.
The bank maintains a vast network of interconnected branches in all Nigerian states. It has two wholly owned bank subsidiaries; one in Cotonou, Benin and another in London, in the United Kingdom. It also maintains a Representative Office in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Board of directors
The bank's activities are supervised by a thirteen-member board of directors, chaired by Senator Udoma Udo Udoma, one of the non-executive directors, a former senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- 30 June 2012 Financial Data
- "Union Bank of Nigeria 2012 Annual Report" (PDF). Union Bank of Nigeria. December 31, 2012. Retrieved December 27, 2014.
- "Nigerian Stock Exchange > Issuers > Listed Securities > Company Details> Union Bank of Nigeria". Nigerian Stock Exchange. December 23, 2014. Retrieved December 27, 2014.
- Shareholding In Union Bank of Nigeria
- The Branch Network of Union Bank of Nigeria
- Members of the Board of Union Bank of Nigeria
- Emeka Emuwa is the MD & CEO of Union Bank of Nigeria