Union Glacier Camp
Union Glacier Camp
Union Glacier Camp, December 2013.
|Location in Antarctica||Heritage Range|
|Operated by||Antarctic Logistics & Expeditions|
|Named for||Union Glacier|
|Elevation||700 m (2,300 ft)|
The Union Glacier Camp is the only private seasonally occupied camp site located in Ellsworth Land in Antarctica. The camp is located in the Heritage Range, below the Ellsworth Mountains, on Union Glacier, that gives the camp its name.
Location and features
The camp is operated by Antarctic Logistics & Expeditions LLC (ALE), a company that provides expedition support and tours to the interior of Antarctica. The camp is situated near Union Glacier Blue-Ice Runway SCGC a rare, naturally occurring, blue ice runway that allows wheeled jet cargo aircraft to land. Russian Ilyushin Il-76 aircraft regularly transport equipment and personnel to the camp. From Union Glacier Camp transportation to the South Pole, Vinson Massif, Hercules Inlet and other locations is by Twin Otter and Basler BT-67 ski planes. Union Glacier Camp replaced the earlier Patriot Hills Base Camp.
During the months of November to January, when the weather is the least hostile, jet charter flights are operated from Punta Arenas, Chile to the camp. Union Glacier is the site of the annual Antarctic Ice Marathon, as well as the start of the World Marathon Challenge (7 Marathons on 7 continents in 7 days).
- "Services". Antarctic Logistics & Expeditions LLC. 2016. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- Antarctic Logistics & Expeditions
- Polar Conservation Organisation Archived 2011-07-19 at the Wayback Machine
- "No more Patriot Hills: ALE's new runway and camp; and additions to the South Pole list". Retrieved 2010-12-03.
- Initial environmental evaluation – development of blue-ice and compacted-snow runways, National Science Foundation Office of Polar Programs, April 9, 1993
- Antarctic Ice Marathon
- World Marathon Challenge
|This Ellsworth Land location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|