Union Pacific / West Line
|Union Pacific West Line|
|Termini||Ogilvie Transportation Center|
|Daily ridership||27,196 (avg. weekday 2014)|
|Owner||Union Pacific Railroad (Leased to Metra)|
|Operator(s)||Union Pacific Railroad|
|Line length||43.8 miles|
|Track gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge|
The Union Pacific West Line (UP-W) is a Metra commuter rail line operated by Union Pacific Railroad in Chicago, Illinois and its western suburbs. Metra does not refer to its lines by particular colors, but the timetable accents for the Union Pacific/West line are "Kate Shelley Rose" pink, honoring an Iowa woman who saved a Chicago & North Western Railway train from disaster in 1881. In April 2013 the public timetable shows 30 trains leaving Chicago each weekday, of which 22 run to Elburn. Of the 8 trains on weekdays that do not run through to Elburn, 4 terminate at Elmhurst, 2 at Geneva, 1 at West Chicago, and 1 at La Fox. All weekend trains run through to Elburn. Until 2006, all Metra trains on this line terminated at Geneva. The line runs as part of the Union Pacific Railroad's Geneva Subdivision (ex-C&NW line to Clinton, Iowa.)
The line runs from the Ogilvie Transportation Center in downtown Chicago through the western suburbs to Elburn. This is the oldest railway route in Chicago, the route of the Galena and Chicago Union Railroad along Kinzie street.
Until the late 1940s the line had a branch to Freeport, Illinois. It diverged from the main line at West Chicago and had stations at Elgin, Marengo, Belvidere, Rockford, Freeport, and other communities.
|Period||Avg. weekday ridership|
|Period||Avg. weekend ridership|
Huskie Line buses: Elburn Shuttle
|La Fox||La Fox|
|H||St. Charles||St. Charles||St. Charles branch (Closed 1951)|
Pace buses: 592 St. Charles - Geneva Call-n-Ride, 596 Batavia Call-n-Ride, 801 Elgin/Geneva, and 802 Aurora-Geneva via Lake
|F||West Chicago||West Chicago||DuPage|
|Winfield||Winfield||Points of interest:|
Central DuPage Hospital
Pace buses: 301 Roosevelt Road, 591 Wheaton - Winfield Call-n-Ride, 709 Carol Stream/North Wheaton, 711 Wheaton/Addison, and 714 College of DuPage/Naperville/Wheaton Connector
|College Avenue||Points of interest:|
|Glen Ellyn||Glen Ellyn||Connections:|
Pace buses: 715 Central DuPage
Pace buses: 674 Southwest Lombard
|Villa Park||Villa Park|
|Elmhurst||Elmhurst||Points of interest:|
Elmhurst College and Wilder Park Conservatory
Pace buses: 313 St. Charles Road and 330 Mannheim - LaGrange Roads
|Melrose Park||Melrose Park||Connections:|
Pace buses: 303 Forest Park/Rosemont, 309 Lake Street, and 313 St. Charles Road
Pace buses: 309 Lake Street, 313 St. Charles Road, and 331 Cumberland/5th Avenue
|B||River Forest||River Forest||Connections:|
Pace buses: 309 Lake Street and 313 St. Charles Road
|Lathrop||Closed December 1, 1958|
|Oak Park||Oak Park||Connections:|
CTA "L" lines: Green Line (at Harlem/Lake)
CTA buses: 90 Harlem
Pace buses: 307 Harlem, 309 Lake Street, 313 St. Charles Road, 318 West North Avenue, 757 Oak Park/Schaumburg Limited, and 770 Brookfield Zoo Express/CTA Green Line
|N/A||Avenue||Closed December 1, 1958|
|N/A||Ridgeland||Closed December 1, 1958|
|N/A||Austin Blvd||Closed December 1, 1958|
|N/A||Austin||Chicago||Closed December 1, 1958|
|N/A||Keeler||Employee only stop; serves adjacent maintenance facility|
CTA "L" lines: Green Line (at Kedzie)
CTA buses: 52 Kedzie/California
|Ogilvie Transportation Center||Connections:|
Metra trains: Union Pacific / Northwest and Union Pacific / North
CTA "L" lines: Green Line and Pink Line (at Clinton)
CTA buses: J14 Jeffery Jump, 19 United Center Express, 56 Milwaukee, 60 Blue Island/26th, 120 Ogilvie/Streeterville Express, 124 Navy Pier, 125 Water Tower Express, 126 Jackson, 128 Soldier Field Express, 130 Museum Campus, 157 Streeterville/Taylor, and 192 University of Chicago Hospitals Express
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on March 26, 2016. Retrieved April 1, 2016.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Metra Railfan Tips - Union Pacific/West
- "Did you know?" (PDF). On the Bi-Level: 3. June 2009. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-01-02.
- "RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANNUAL REPORT 2018" (PDF). Metra. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- "Operations and Ridership Data". Metra. Archived from the original on 19 October 2009.
- "Operations and Ridership Data". Metra. Archived from the original on 2 January 2010.
- "Operations and Ridership Data". Metra. Archived from the original on 29 March 2012.
- "Operations and Ridership Data". Metra. Archived from the original on 28 October 2013.
- "Operations and Ridership Data". Metra. Archived from the original on 20 March 2017.
- "Operations and Ridership Data". Metra. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- "Operations and Ridership Data". Metra. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 December 2013.
- Metra Union Pacific/West service schedule
Media related to Metra Union Pacific/West Line at Wikimedia Commons