Union Pacific 4141
|Union Pacific 4141|
Union Pacific 4141 is an EMD SD70ACe locomotive owned by Union Pacific, commissioned in 2005 in honor of George H. W. Bush, the 41st President of the United States. Its paint scheme is based on that of Air Force One, with lettering reading "George Bush 41" painted on the sides in honor of the George Bush Presidential Library and President Bush.
Union Pacific 4141 was delivered as UP 8423 in 2005, and was in service in primer, similar to the six heritage units before they were unveiled in their respective paint schemes. On October 18, 2005, the locomotive was officially unveiled at the George Bush Presidential Library; the road number 4141 was previously occupied by an SD70M, which has since been renumbered to 3778. The locomotive then went on display outside the Presidential Library shortly after the ceremony. George H. W. Bush was given the opportunity to operate the locomotive shortly after its entry into service.
The unit was removed from active service due to reduced traffic levels stemming from the financial crisis of 2007–2010 and was stored at UP's North Little Rock shop. The locomotive was briefly removed from storage in 2012 and made a round trip from North Little Rock to Chicago, and was then immediately returned to storage. For a while, it was wrapped for long term storage, but the wrapping was later removed. During February 2018, 4141 received cosmetic touch ups to its paint and then returned to storage.
After the death of George H. W. Bush on November 30, 2018, UP 4141 was brought out of storage and was sent to Houston, Texas on December 1, 2018. The locomotive participated in the funeral train for George H. W. Bush on December 6, running from Spring, Texas to College Station, Texas. Following the funeral, the unit was sent to Omaha, Nebraska, where it was on display from December 9 to 12. UP 4141 later went on a system-wide tour, with stops in Chicago, Fort Worth, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, North Platte, Pine Bluff, North Little Rock, Ogden, Portland, Roseville, and St. Louis.
- Hamel, Stacie (October 19, 2005). "Way to recognize service". Omaha World-Herald. Retrieved April 22, 2007. (full text available here)
- "Union Pacific Railroad Honors President Bush 41 With Custom-Painted Locomotive". Union Pacific Railroad. October 18, 2005. Retrieved December 1, 2018.
- David Lustig (February 2010). "Pride of the Fleet". Trains Magazine. Kalmbach Publishing.
- "UP 4141 / North Little Rock, Arkansas".
- "George H.W. Bush Funeral Train". Union Pacific Railroad. Retrieved December 2, 2018.
- News, 6. "Former President George H.W. Bush's locomotive to be displayed in Omaha". www.wowt.com. Retrieved December 10, 2018.
- Earl, David (December 9, 2018). "Union Pacific No. 4141 has arrived in Omaha". KETV. Retrieved December 10, 2018.
|This diesel locomotive-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|