Union of Azerbaijani Writers
|Native name||Azərbaycan Yazıçılar Birliyi|
|Founded||June 13, 1934|
The Union of Azerbaijani Writers (Azerbaijani: Azərbaycan Yazıçılar Birliyi) is the largest public organization of Azerbaijani writers, poets and publicists. It has over 1500 members at present. It was founded on June 13, 1934, when Azerbaijan was a part of the Soviet Union as the Azerbaijan Soviet Socialist Republic.
Prior to 1934, Azerbaijani writers grouped in variety of literary unions. In 1923, a group of writers formed the "İldırım" United Organization of Turkic Publicists and Poets. Later, in 1925, another organization known as "Qızıl qələmlər" (Golden Pens) was established uniting most writers and regularly conducting literary gathering events. The Union of Azerbaijani Writers was established on June 13, 1934. There were 93 members upon its registration. With its establishment, the organization also started publication of "Ədəbiyyat qəzeti" (Literature) newspaper. To this day, there have been 11 congresses held by the union in 1934, 1954, 1958, 1965, 1971, 1976, 1981, 1986, 1991, 1997 and 2004 which are normally held every 5 years.
At the present, the Union has regional chapters in Ganja, Karabakh region, Lankaran, Mingachevir, Shaki, Shirvan region, Sumgayit, Guba, Qazakh and representative offices in Moscow (Russia), Borchali, (Georgia), Derbent (Dagestan), Istanbul (Turkey). The Union of Azerbaijani Writers if a multi-ethnic organization having members who write and publish in Azerbaijani, Russian, Lezgi, Talysh, Tat and other languages. The organization has a chairman, secretary and a board of directors who manage its activities. It is currently chaired by Anar (son of writer Rasul Reza) and its secretary is Chingiz Abdullayev.
|Chairman of Union of Azerbaijani Writers|
- "Haqqımızda (About us)". Azərbaycan Yazıçılar Birliyi (Union of Azerbaijani Writers). 2008. Retrieved 2016-10-20. (in Azerbaijani)
- "History, The Soviet Period". Countries Quest. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- "Azərbaycan yazıçılarının qurultayları 1934 – 2004" [Conferences of Azerbaijani writers 1934–2004]. Retrieved 2010-12-29.
- "Azərbaycan Yazıçılar Birliyinin 75 illik yubileyi qeyd olunub" [75th anniversary of Azerbaijani Writers Union celebrated]. Retrieved 2010-12-29.
- Official website (in Azerbaijani)