Uniondale, New York
|Uniondale, New York|
|Hamlet and census-designated place|
Looking east over Uniondale
Location in Nassau County and the state of New York.
|• Total||2.7 sq mi (6.9 km2)|
|• Land||2.7 sq mi (6.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||52 ft (16 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0968229|
Uniondale is a hamlet and census-designated place (CDP), as well as a suburb of New York City in Nassau County, New York, United States, on Long Island, in the Town of Hempstead. The zip code is 11553. The population was 24,759 at the 2010 United States Census. Uniondale is home to Hofstra University's north campus.
Uniondale is located at (40.703097, −73.591070).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.7 square miles (7.0 km2), all land. It is a diverse hamlet and neighbors the diverse towns of Hempstead, Roosevelt, East Meadow and Freeport.
As of the census of 2000, there were 23,011 people, 6,026 households, and 4,826 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 8,676.5 per square mile (3,352.7/km²). There were 6,201 housing units at an average density of 2,338.1/sq mi (903.5/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 26.97% White, 55.53% Black, 0.35% Native American, 2.10% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 9.95% from other races, and 5.01% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 22.86% of the population.
There were 6,026 households out of which 39.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.9% were married couples living together, 20.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.9% were non-families. 16.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.66 and the average family size was 3.95.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 26.5% under the age of 18, 9.7% from 18 to 24, 29.3% from 25 to 44, 21.9% from 45 to 64, and 12.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 90.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.5 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $61,410, and the median income for a family was $67,264. Males had a median income of $32,417 versus $31,169 for females. The per capita income was $19,069. About 6.0% of families and 8.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.0% of those under age 18 and 12.9% of those age 65 or over.
Uniondale was the home of the NHL's New York Islanders, who played at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum from 1972 until 2015. The 2014–15 NHL season was their final year at the Coliseum before the team moved to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, about 25 miles away.
In popular culture
- The Vans Warped Tour was held in the parking lot of the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum in 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2011.
- Two scenes from the movie The Godfather were filmed in Mitchel Field, which is part of the Uniondale School District but the Garden City Postal Zone.
- JDC Films, known for its documentary My Block: Strong Island, is based in Uniondale.
- Richard Blais – chef, reality show contestant, restaurateur and author.
- Edward Goljan – pathologist, professor, and USMLE/COMLEX Board Review Teacher, grew up in Uniondale.
- Gary Dell'Abate – also known as Baba Booey, is longtime producer of The Howard Stern Show. He grew up in Uniondale.
- Sheryl Lee Ralph – Broadway actress and singer.
- John Moschitta, Jr. – an American spokesperson and singer best known for his rapid speech delivery. He appeared in over 100 commercials as "The Micro Machines Man", as well as in ads for FedEx.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum (faq page)". Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Retrieved 23 January 2015.