United Bank for Africa
|Industry||Financial Services, Banking, Investment Services|
|Headquarters||UBA House, 57 Marina, P.O. Box 2406, Lagos, Lagos State, Nigeria|
|Tony O. Elumelu, C.O.N
Group Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer
|Products||Internet banking U-Direct
Mobile banking U-Mobile
Non-Resident African Banking
|Slogan||Africa's Global Bank|
United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc, is one of Africa's leading banking Groups with operations in 19 African countries and offices in three global financial centers: London, Paris and New York.
United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc is one of Africa’s largest financial institutions with operations in 19 African countries and 3 global financial centers; New York, London and Paris. UBA has more than eight million customers and 700 business offices globally.
UBA has been operating in Africa since 1949, referred to then as the British and French Bank Limited (BFB). It took over the assets and liabilities of BFB and was incorporated as a limited liability company on 23 February 1961 under the Compliance Ordinance (Cap 37) 1922.
In 2005, it completed one of the biggest mergers in the history of Nigeria’s capital markets with the business combination with Standard Trust Bank (STB) Plc. From then, it continued to expand to Ghana, Benin Republic, Cote d’Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Guinea, Chad, Cameroon, Kenya, Gabon, Tanzania, Zambia, Uganda, Liberia, Sierra-Leone, Mozambique, Senegal, Congo DR and Congo Brazzaville. UBA is listed on the Nigerian Stock Exchange, where it is publicly traded under the symbol "UBA".
- United States
- UBA New York – Regulated by the Office of the Controller of the Currency, is a member of the United States Federal Reserve System. Its balance sheet size is in excess of US$1.3 billion.
- United Kingdom
- UBA United Kingdom
- UBA Capital Europe – Established as UK regulated investment banking operation in January 2008.
- UBA France
- UBA Benin
- UBA Burkina Faso
- UBA Cameroon S.A. – Cameroon represents UBA's first operational base in Central Africa, commencing operations in December 2007.
- UBA Chad
- UBA Congo Brazzaville – Started Operations In January 2011.
- UBA Congo Kinshasa (DRC)
- UBA Côte d'Ivoire – UBA CDI effectively commenced business in June 2008.
- UBA Gabon
- UBA Ghana Limited – commenced operations in 2004 and now operates from 16 branches.
- UBA Guinea
- UBA Kenya
- UBA Liberia – It began operations in July 2008.
- UBA Mali
- UBA Mozambique
- UBA Senegal
- UBA Sierra Leone – Commenced active operations in July 2008 in Sierra Leone.
- UBA Tanzania
- UBA Uganda Limited – Represents UBA's pioneer country activities in the Eastern and Southern African sub-regions. It commenced operations in May 2008.
- UBA Zambia
- UBA Firsts
- UBA was the first among international banks to be registered under Nigerian Law in 1961.
- UBA is the first Nigerian bank to offer an IPO following its listing on the Nigerian Stock Exchange in 1970.
- UBA is the first Nigerian Bank to introduce a Cheque Guarantee Scheme – the first cheque guarantee card in the history of innovative banking services by any Bank in Nigeria, known as UBACARD in 1986.
- UBA is the first and only Nigerian Bank to obtain a banking license in the Cayman Islands −1988.
- First ever and only Nigeria bank to hit the NGN1 trillion balance sheet size (including contingents).
- UBA is the first Nigerian bank to embark on a GDR programme in 1990.
- UBA is the First bank in Nigeria to institute a foundation – UBA Foundation; the Corporate Social Responsibility arm of the UBA Group.
- UBA Introduced First Visa Dual Currency Debit Card in Nigeria.
- UBA and MoneyGram open first dedicated MoneyGram location in Nigeria.
- Successful underwriting of the first 100 percent local funding of an ExxonMobil/NNPC Joint Venture Project.
- UBA launches Nigeria's First Cash Deposit ATMs
- UBA Appoints New Chairman Archived September 3, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- UBA Congo Brazzaville Opens For Business
- List of Countries With UBA Presence
- UBA Opens Branches In DRC
- UBA Zambia Established In 2011
- UBA Zambia Seeking Local Banking Licence
- UBA Registered Under Nigerian Law In 1961
- "UBA, Nigeria's n°1 Bank launches 54 Billion Naira hybrid offer," Symbiotics, "Archived copy". Archived from the original on January 12, 2008. Retrieved May 22, 2009. 09/03/07
- "African Centre for Women Report of the Ad Hoc Expert Group Meeting to consider modalities of setting up an African Bank For Women," United Nations Economic Commission for Africa "Archived copy". Archived from the original on August 10, 2009. Retrieved May 22, 2009. 24/08/94
- Sarah Rundell, "Hungry for More Market Share," Africa Investor [permanent dead link], 01-03-07
- "UBA, Nigeria's No.1 Bank launches 54 Billion Naira hybrid offer," Symbiotics, "Archived copy". Archived from the original on January 12, 2008. Retrieved May 22, 2009.
- Ugonna Maduagufor, "Global Depository Receipts," Stock Market Nigeria  30-06-08
- About UBA Foundation[dead link]
- Beryl Opondo, "MoneyGram and UBA open first dedicated MoneyGram location in Nigeria," Prudence International Magazine, "Archived copy". Archived from the original on August 11, 2009. Retrieved May 22, 2009., 23-05-06