United Bank for Africa (Uganda)
|Frans Ojiel, acting managing director|
|Products||Loans, transaction accounts, savings, investments, debit cards, credit cards, mortgages|
|Revenue||Pretax: NGN:391 million (2016)|
|Total assets||NGN:15.1 billion (2016)|
Number of employees
|Parent||United Bank for Africa|
UBA-Uganda is a commercial bank that focuses on the individual customer, small and medium enterprises (SMEs), and large corporations. The Nigeria-based parent company, United Bank for Africa, started operations in Uganda with a capital base of US$12 million. The bank's entry into the Ugandan market along with other regional heavyweights, including Kenya Commercial Bank and Ecobank Transnational, energized the country's financial sector and increased competition, resulting in improved customer service across the board.
UBA-Uganda commenced operations in May 2008, starting with the opening of the main branch on the Kampala-Jinja Highway in Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. Within the first six months, the bank established four branches within Kampala and its suburbs. During the following six months, UBA-Uganda added two upcountry branches, one in Jinja, about 86 kilometres (53 mi) east of Kampala, and the other in Mbale, a city located about 200 kilometres (120 mi), by road, north-east of the capital.
UBA-Uganda is a wholly owned subsidiary of the United Bank for Africa, headquartered in Lagos, Nigeria and with a presence in twenty African countries and the United Kingdom, France, and the United States.
As of May 2014, the UBA-Uganda maintained branches at the following locations:
- Embassy House King George V Road - Plot 22 Jinja Road Kampala, Uganda
- Prestige Branch - Embassy House King George V Road - Plot 22 Jinja Road Kampala, Uganda
- William Street Branch - 17B William Street, Kampala
- Kansanga Branch - 2577 Ggaba Road, Block 244, Kansanga, Kampala
- Jinja Branch - 5 Lady Alice Muloki Road, Jinja
- Mbale Branch - 1-3 Manafwa Road, Mbale
- Fort Portal Branch - 8 Ruhandika Street, Fort Portal
- Mbarara Branch - 94 High Street, Mbarara
- Makarere University Branch, [Kampala]
- Newvision, Archive (19 June 2011). "United Bank for Africa To Get New Managing Director". New Vision. Retrieved 2 May 2014.[dead link]
- Newvision, Archive (19 June 2011). "Margaret Mwanakatwe Promoted to Director of Aglophone Africa Business At UBA Plc". New Vision. Retrieved 2 May 2014.[dead link]
- UBA (31 December 2016). "31 December 2011 UBA Group Financial Report: Condensed Result of Consolidated Subsidiaries" (PDF). United Bank for Africa. p. 214. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- BOU (June 2015). "List of Licensed Commercial Banks As At June 2015" (PDF). Kampala: Bank of Uganda. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Kabuubi, Ronald (20 November 2008). "United Bank of Africa Invests US$12 Million". New Vision. Retrieved 2 May 2014.[dead link]
- Editor, 2 (24 February 2014). "Is There Space For More Banks In Uganda?". Summit Business Review. Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- Owor, Mark (23 December 2008). "United Bank of Africa Goes To Mbale". New Vision. Retrieved 2 May 2014.[dead link]
- UBA (2014). "UBA Plc. Has Banking Subsidiaries In Over Twenty African Countries". UBA. Retrieved 2 May 2014.
- "List of UBA Branches In Uganda". UBA. Retrieved 2 May 2014.