United Democratic Movement (Kenya)
United Democratic Movement
|Secretary-General||Martin Ole Kamwaro|
|Split from||Kenya African National Union|
|National affiliation||Coalition of Reforms and Democracy|
The United Democratic Movement is a political party that was founded in 1999 by politicians who were at the time considederd to be renegades from the then ruling party Kenya African National Union but was denied registration by the then head of state Daniel Toroitich Arap Moi and most of its then leaders went to other parties by the time of the 2002 general elections.
2007 General Elections
UDM allied itself with the Orange Democratic Movement in supporting Raila Odinga's candidacy for the office of President of Kenya, and fielded several candidates in the parliamentary elections. Its most prominent member of that parliament was Hellen Sambili who served as Minister of East African Cooperation in Kenya's grand coalition government. The party was briefly subject to a leadership struggle as a faction of 'rebel' ODM Members of Parliament, allied to William Ruto attempted to take control of the party to use it as their platform for the 2012 elections. However, following resistance from the existing leadership Ruto and his allies opted to form the United Republican Party. in December 2012, the party was part of a short lived four party coalition, including the National Vision Party, New Ford Kenya and Kenya African National Union to field a single presidential candidate at the 2013 general elections,  before finally settling on becoming part of the Coalition for Reforms and Democracy 
- "Kenya Leader Orders Ban on New Parties; Africa". Pqasb.pqarchiver.com. Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "Its all out war". Standardmedia.co.ke. 2011-12-19. Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "Ruto, allies Launch New Party". Allafrica.com. 2012-01-15. Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "UDM Calls for party elections despite conflicts". Capitalfm.co.ke. 2012-01-03. Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- Four political parties announce coalition pact http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/2012/11/four-political-parties-announce-coalition-pact/