United Investors Life Insurance Company

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
United Investors Life Insurance Company
Subsidiary of Protective Life Corporation
Industry Life insurance
Founded 1961
Headquarters Birmingham, Alabama
Area served
United States
Key people
John D. Johns, President and CEO
Products supplemental health
and life insurance
Revenue US$ 397.9 million (2008)
Website http://www.uilic.com

United Investors Life Insurance Company (UILIC), based in Birmingham, Alabama, provides individual life insurance and annuity products. United Investors was founded in 1961. UILIC has more than $14 billion of insurance in force (as of 7/10). There are more than 150,000 polices in force and more than 1,400 licensed Agents nationwide. (as of 7/10) The Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Protective Life Corporation.[1]

United Investors Life Insurance Company has earned the A (Excellent) Financial Strength Rating from A.M. Best Company (as of 6/10).[2]

History[edit]

Prior to October 1981, all outstanding stock of United Investors Life was held by Waddell & Reed, Inc. (90 percent), the distributor and manager of the “United Group” of Mutual Funds, and its parent, Continental Investment Corporation (10 percent), a financial services holding company. At that time, Torchmark Corporation, through a subsidiary, acquired all three companies. In the first quarter of 1998, 81 percent of United Investors Life was acquired by affiliate company, Liberty National Life Insurance Company. The remaining 19 percent was contributed by Torchmark to Liberty National in 2006.[3] In December 2010, Torchmark sold United Investors Life to Birmingham, Alabama-based Protective Life Corporation.

References[edit]

  1. ^ http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/torchmark-subsidiary-to-sell-united-investors-life-insurance-company-102851389.html
  2. ^ "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on March 4, 2016. Retrieved January 8, 2014. 
  3. ^ Best’s Insurance Reports Life/Health United States and Canada. 2009 Edition. Volume II.