United Kingdom national
|British citizenship and
British nationality law
|Classes of British national
status and other status
- British Citizens;
- British Nationals (Overseas);
- British Overseas Citizens;
- British Overseas Territories Citizens;
- British Protected Persons; or
- British Subjects (as defined in the British Nationality Act 1981)
In some other Acts, e.g. the Atomic Energy Act 1989, the term "United Kingdom national" does not include British subjects and British protected persons.
Except for British Protected Persons, all the above are also Commonwealth citizens. British Protected Persons, like Irish citizens, are in a unique category in that they are neither Commonwealth citizens (British subjects in the pre-1981 definition) nor aliens.