United Nations Avenue
|Length||1.9 km (1.2 mi)|
|Location||City of Manila|
|From||Quirino Avenue Ext. and Paz Mendoza Guazon Street in Pandacan|
|P. Correa Street
San Marcelino Street
Maria Orosa Avenue
|To||Roxas Boulevard in Ermita|
United Nations Avenue is a major thoroughfare in Manila, Philippines. A commercial, residential and industrial artery, the avenue runs east-west through the near-center of the city linking Ermita and Rizal Park with the eastern districts. It is home to the World Health Organization Western Pacific headquarters.
U.N. Avenue begins at a fork in Quirino Avenue Extension and Paz Mendoza Guazon Street, just west of Pandacan. It continues through the area of Tanque and Isla de Provisor in northern Paco district passing several rows of warehouses and a few institutional buildings. West of Taft Avenue lies busy Ermita district with a mix of hotels, offices and hospital buildings. Roxas Boulevard lies at its western terminus.
The avenue is served by the United Nations LRT Station.
U.N. Avenue was formerly known as Isaac Peral Street, after the Spanish engineer who designed the world's first fully capable military submarine in the late 19th century. It was later renamed in recognition of the World Health Organization, a United Nations agency, whose building was built in 1959 in the former University of the Philippines property located at its southwest corner with Taft Avenue.
Points of interest
- Araullo High School
- Asilo de San Vicente de Paul
- Bayview Hotel
- Insurance Commission
- Khalsa Diwan Sikh Temple
- Manila Doctors Hospital
- Manila Police District Headquarters
- Medical Center Manila
- National Bureau of Investigation
- Philam Life Building and Theater
- Philippine Bible Society
- Philtrust Bank Building
- Pope Pius XII Catholic Center
- Times Plaza
- Unilever Philippines
- Waterfront Manila Pavilion Hotel and Casino
- World Health Organization Western Pacific Regional Office
- Old Manila streets lose names to politicians published by Philippine Daily Inquirer; accessed 2013-09-27.
- Report of the Regional Director to the Regional Committee for the Western Pacific published by World Health Organization; accessed 2013-09-27.
- The Manila Hilton of memory published by The Philippine Star; accessed 2013-09-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to United Nations Avenue.|